Moving house

Everyone here at the ranch would like to welcome y'all to The McCain Ranch. This is our "Welcome Center". Be sure & stop by and say "Hi" to everyone. Those of you who are already a member, be sure and give them a big hearty welcoming!
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Moving house

Post by ruskin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 am

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. My husband and I have sold our home and are busy downsizing/packing up to move to our rental apartment.

We are beyond exhausted at this point with our moving day sneaking up on us fast (Nov 4). We've hired movers as it would be too much for us alone.

It makes me think about how nice it would be to just have a wagon load of stuff rather than a 5 ton truck loaded to the hilt lol.
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Moving house

Post by wildwest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm

wow that is a huge project for sure. are you moving somewhere in the same area that you live now? have you seen those shows on HGTV of the Little Houses on wheels people buy and move around. I don't think I could downsize that small.

take is easy and we will see ya at Sweeneys soon!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Yup staying local for now. Just going to the other side of town which is probably about 10 miles away. Yes those tiny house shows are neat. I don't really get the concept though, because some of today's RV's can be much nicer and have several slide outs which make it huge inside for same or less money. I wouldn't want to have to crawl up into a loft every night to sleep... not with how many times I get up during the night, I'd break my neck lol.

We were actually entertaining the idea of "full timing" in a year or so old fifth wheel in a year or so and only doing it for a year or so. We are getting tired of winter here lol and might want to try the "snowbird" thing in Yuma. Apparently there are tons of all Canadian RV snowbird communities down there. They stay all winter and head back head in spring; up to 6 months. We've got a friend who does that and he loves it.

I'm looking forward to the warm and dry apartment. The house has been a challenge for a few years now, roof issues, heat is by a wood stove... with my vertigo I haven't been able to pack in wood so using little electric heaters during the day isn't the best source of heat. The new owner plans to renovate the whole place. I'm excited to see what he does with it. He's actually a friend of my kids so we can visit when we want to.

Car is in the shop today for maintenance so it's pack, pack, pack today until it's time to go pick it up. <sigh>
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:06 pm

I thought the same thing about RV's and you can customize RV's. why don't folks just buy an RV? I think this 'tiny house' trend may backfire in a couple of years and put a lot of them back on the market. some of them are no bigger than a storage shed. especially if you have kids. and then you have to have a substantial vehicle to pull them.

I think it would be good marketing if a TV company had a show now about the luxury of living in RV's. they could get some of this 'tiny living' market! where are the 'suits' that make these marketing decisions??

wintering in Yuma would be great. you may even run into Micah there transporting prisoners. I know what you mean about the cold weather. I live in Ohio and it can be brutal but I imagine Canada is worse.

pace yourself so you don't get down. if you go thru North Fork on the way to Yuma let us know and we can meet up with you, Lucas and Mark at the Mallory House for some pie!

have a blessed day!

:bouncingblobs:
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 pm

I think a TV show about RV full timing would be wonderful. I've joined several groups on about it FB and there is a lot to learn... lots of good advice and bad lol.

I thought of that when we first talked about Yuma, how it's always mentioned on the show lol. It would have been cool to meet Micah on the road there lol.

Yesterday ended up more hectic than planned lol. I had some furniture to find homes for, first being my dining table which I posted on Craigslist in the freebies. We'd gotten it from a thrift store in the first place so I figured we'd gotten our money's worth out of it. Well got 6 replies to that within minutes of posting it. None but the last could come that day so he got it. So now I'm sitting here without a table lol. I've got my grandma's set that I'd repainted up but the table is in another room and I have to wait til Dan gets home to help me put it into place so that we have a place to eat dinner tonight lol.

I also had a few other things. Our bedroom set is going the day after we move. We've got another in our storage locker that we'll be switching out too. So that's spoken for now thankfully. My great Aunt's vintage dining table and chairs were in the locker and it needs to go as well. It's a nice one but it became my mom's, then mine and I didn't need it. Dan found it a good home yesterday so it'll probably go on the weekend. We're trying to get rid of the locker as it's getting too expensive. The last was a vintage bedroom set that we had in our spare room. The kids would use it when they came home from Alberta to visit. Once we're at the apartment they'll have to stay at the Ramada down the street lol. So in between having to go pick up the car ($2000 later - big big 100,000 k maintenance plus water pump replacement) a nice young with 3 kids couple came out last night to pick up the bedroom set. I can't believe I got 18 replies on that one! When I had it for sale before for a 100 bucks, there were no takers... but give it away for free and they are all over it lol.

So now we are just down to finishing packing and getting the last things picked up. I'm going to start moving my sewing things on the 1st once I have the keys. Then just things that we don't want the movers handling. We might move our food other than essentials on the Friday before move day. I think that would make for less confusion. Also we may have to do some boxes so that we can unload them as we are running low on them here lol.

Anyway long story short, still plugging away at it. Oh and to top it all off I've got a craft fair to vend at not 2 weeks after the move lol. Hope I can find my stuff! LOL
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Wow I am tired just reading about your move! I don't do stress well. Pace yourself so you don't end up at Doc Burrages!

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks I hope it all goes smoothly once it all hits the fan next weekend.

I had an acquaintance interested in the last bedroom set but she bailed out at the last minute. Luckily we've found another one of the kids friends that would like it so they'll come for it next weekend. They took that pesky table and chaye set off my hands too. It went today lol.

So now it's just down to packing the last boxes leaving out the essentials for the week. I haven't even touched the bathroom yet but it won't take long I hope lol.
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:18 pm

wow you will definitely need some of Lucas's beef stew and Mark's chocolate cake when this is finished! after you get moved and settled you can relax and say....I'm not really lookin' back....just remembering back

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Looking forward to that for sure! :grinning-cowboy:
I think I'll take one night and get as drunk as Micah used to lol (I don't drink but a couple times a year, and a small amount, so that would probably kill me off lol)
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:19 pm

Well, move is done,... now to un-bury ourselves! LOL

I knew we would still need to purge things once we got here. It's been an ongoing thing for the last 4 years since my parents moved to assisted living and most of their stuff ended up at our house. I'm sure we will get there eventually.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “The Hotel Madera”