Parallels in the same episode

It has been almost 60 years since The Rifleman first visited our living rooms. Grab your boots and saddle and get ready to ride as we revisit the McCain's! Lucas, Mark & Micah gather here to talk about The Rifleman. What better place to discuss The Rifleman then his own front porch.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Parallels in the same episode

Post by Dana » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm

The hero: Lucas tells mark He (mark) always had his own ideas and stuck with them. Later, Lucas tells sam Bedford he always figured sam was pretty level-headed.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:18 am

Panic: three uncharacteric things for Lucas and Mark. When Mark leaves to stay with Hattie indefinitely for a few days and after Lucas leaves Hattie's store with supplies, Lucas and Mark don't give each other a goodbye hug. When Mr. Cass remarks on how foolish Lucas is being , Mark does not get angry and defensive. Lucas is so exhausted from caring for the barker family, he does not even ask about Mark when Micah comes to warn him about the angry townspeople.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:53 am

Face of yesterday: Nancy clay is so excited when Lucas comes to the door and tells her he knew her first husband. The look of empathy on Lucas's face when she talks about losing the love of her life to death, but having a child who is the spitting image of that lost love is among Chuck's best pieces of acting!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm not sure if you or anyone have mentioned the parallels between Millie's Brother and I Take this Woman verses Margaret.

In Miss Millie, Lucas sets back and lets Harry take over without much of a fight. Lucas later fought with words to Harry where in I Take this Woman Lucas fights Dennis O'Flarrety with fist.

He sets back and let this go on. If he cared you'd think he would have talked to them or something. Good old Mark has to put this suggestion in Lucas head & open up his eyes and save the day.

How many cowboy's other then Lucas also cared for Margaret?
There was Reef Jackson in End of the Hunt — Tom Birch in One Went to Denver and Lariat Jones - Lariat.

My question is, did Lucas set back and let these other guys move in on Margaret? I think not.

What say you?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:30 pm

good to see you posting Cowgirl!

Lucas was SO in love with Margaret I think he would not have let anyone get the better of him. I don't think they referenced any other suitors for her but I bet all the dudes in Enid had sights on her. but wild wild Lucas prevailed. How wonderful she must have felt knowing Lucas loved her and their son so much. she would have been proud to know he wore his wedding ring for many years after

and quite frankly I get that. My husband died in 2013 and I still wear my wedding rings along with his wedding ring.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Reef Jackson wanted Margaret so bad - he tried to kill Lucas.

Who saw Reef shoot Lucas in the back? :dontknow:
How did Lucas know it was Reef that shot him in the back? :dontknow:

Lariat and Tom (Richard Anderson) were also rivals of Lucas.
Ummm - The best man won. :laughing:

Margaret must have been really "Hot". :)

~Deneen~

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:49 pm

Hmmm, I think the attraction that Reef, Lariat and Tom had for Margaret was pure lust, but Lucas' attraction to Margaret ran much deeper than physical looks.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:19 am

Wildwest, may I extend my belated condolences. One of my fantasy Margarets is Scarlett o'hara herself-vivien Leigh! I bet Margaret was the belle of the Indian nations. There was also some Debbie Reynolds and judy garland thrown in, so she was a lot of fun with a wicked wit. Underneath it all, she had the goodness of Melanie Wilkes. Lucas was the Rhett butler of the nations!

In the day the town slept, people took voting for granted and Micah lost the election-though I suspect losing the election did have something to do with misplacing the handcuff key. In Millie's brother, Lucas had been taking Millie for granted and Millie might have left town with harry Chase. I think that soon before her fatal illness Lucas had not been paying enough attention to Margaret. I certainly don't think Margaret cheated on Lucas, but she might have been tempted by reef Jackson.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:40 pm

Judy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:49 pm
Hmmm, I think the attraction that Reef, Lariat and Tom had for Margaret was pure lust, but Lucas' attraction to Margaret ran much deeper than physical looks.
Yes - Lucas said so. :yes: ("The Visitor")
I remembered my wife. She was beautiful, but her beauty wasn’t only on the outside. I laid my hand on the back of Mark’s head as I spoke softly and lovingly about my wife. "Mark, your mother had more than looks. There was something special that came from deep inside her."

~Deneen~

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:31 pm

that truly is one of the aspects I think the show was and still is SO great....the way the writers showed endearing love between Lucas and Margaret and also Lucas and Mark

I cannot think of another show so deep... past or present........not Mayberry, My three Sons, Leave it to Beaver, Eddies Father, Brady Bunch etc. even the ones with a single parent. the family shows seemed to be more comedies.

one of the cores of Rifleman was LOVE
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to “The McCain Ranch Front Porch”