Why wasn't Lucas McCain wealthy?

It has been almost 60 years since The Rifleman first visited our living rooms. Grab your boots and saddle and get ready to ride as we revisit the McCain's! Lucas, Mark & Micah gather here to talk about The Rifleman. What better place to discuss The Rifleman then his own front porch.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Why wasn't Lucas McCain wealthy?

Post by wildwest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Renewed Fan:34483 wrote:The modern income tax in the US started in 1913, but it did not  impact the general public in a great way (i.e. substantially everyone was paying) until World War II.

In about 1863-1864, the US had an income tax that lasted only a year or two, and only impacted the wealthiest segment of the population.

Renewed Fan
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

markisddg:34534 wrote:Oh Good let's just tax the really wealthy.

I would think Lucas would have set aside maybe the southern pasture for the McCain Burial Ground for all the men that died on his land or he killed elsewhere.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Random rambler:53968 wrote:I believe a U.S. income tax came into being around 1913. Did Lucas get paid for his services as guard, substitute deputy, as a town council member, and school board member?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Random rambler:54055 wrote:I think Lucas had a bit more money than he let onto everyone. After all, it was no else's business. Besides, as every good poker player knows, you don't show your hand!

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Greg Merrill:54061 wrote:Remember, TR was a weekly show.  It had to have Lucas shooting the rifle, if not actually killing a (group of) bad guy/s ALMOST every week, or it would not have been as entertaining, or deserved the title of The RIFLEman.  But it wasn't titled "The Bounty Hunter."  Lucas didn't want to be known as a man that was killing people every week, whether for money or just to preserve his and other peoples lives from the bad guys.   Lucas didn't like killing people, and it often would upset him.   I don't remember him ever shooting, let alone killing a woman.   That just would have been too shocking, rather than entertaining.  To be the real hero, the writers obviously didn't have Lucas focused on reward money.   Like a lot of police or fireman would say today "I am just doing what anybody else would do if they were in the same situation."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Random rambler:54072 wrote:Greg Merrill,  I agree Lucas never shot someone and kept the reward money:he probably gave it to the original victim's family.  However, he probably did receive monetary compensation for filling in for Micah or guarding the stage with the bank shipments-or at least an expense account for room and board.  As for shooting a woman, was Mark ever threatened by a woman? It would have been interesting to watch Lucas's innate chivalry in conflict with his innate protective instinct towards Mark.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Greg Merrill:54084 wrote:If Mark's life was threatened by a woman, I can see Lucas killing the woman if that was the only thing that would save Mark's life.  But I can see the producers not even wanting to use such a story, and stick to what is lighter entertainment in those days.   I don't remember any women being notoriously evil on TR.  Sure there were some that were not the highest role models of morality, but outright, cold, ruthless killers without a conscious I don't remember.  Such a woman could have been used though, and be about to kill Lucas, when he would have to kill her to save his own life, or someone else.  That would have been an interesting scene, don't you think?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

markisddg:55070 wrote:In The Decision that lawyer for the Hazlitt's tried to bribe Lucas not to testify and probably had a bank roll in the envelope. He said Lucas could send his son to a good school.

In Squeeze Play Mr. Prescott tried to buy Lucas's land for a lot of money. Money he could use to buy a smaller place.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:58 pm

wildwest:55077 wrote:I think Lucas was not really a wealthy man but I don't think he lived from paycheck to paycheck or cattle sale to cattle sale either

This is my spin on it:

Lucas spent lot of money on  BULLETS.   Lots of it!

continued payments on the ranch.  the money from the turkey shoot did not cover it all

And don't forget Marks education, he was always reminding Mark of the money he spent for his education and he wanted to get good value

All the times they ate in town when they could have had beans at home

all the times they stayed overnight in town because Lucas had to rid the town of some bad dudes

all the rock CANDY Mark scarfed down   ha  which probably led to Mark getting dentist work.  One episode he had a tooth pulled   ouch

all the times Lucas hired people at the ranch and then had to pay them      and money was his shortfall.  It was like Lucas was running a McCain rehabilitation center for the lost and wandering.

Hay for BlueBoy and Razor and grain for the chickens

clothes for a growing boy.  Lucas could only stitch them back together so many times

Marigold seeds for the front porch

cigars that Lucas would take one two puffs from and then throw down

combs and hair gel for Lucas cause his hair usually looked fine, even after he gave someone a beating

all those tight jeans Lucas wore    sigh   we can explain the  W (Wrangler) on the jeans as being from the local Western Shop that Lucas probably bought online after he worked on his books    ha

love my tall cowboys in tight jeans on fast horses!

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri May 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Random rambler:55082 wrote:I think he must have had an expense account for food and a hotel room when he filled in for Micah. Plus he did lose money in the bank failure. Did he give Hattie and Millie money for babysitting mark?

Return to “The McCain Ranch Front Porch”