Father son shows like the Rifleman

Saddle up, pardner, and let's ride into the world of the television Westerns.
lilyrose
Gambler
Gambler

Re: Father son shows like the Rifleman

Post by lilyrose »

That's SO sad! :(
"Let go of your fears, and be strong." -Matthew Parker from the song, "Braver"
Please pray for my aunt: Look at North Fork Church Sub-Forum
Dana2020
Sodbuster
Sodbuster

Post by Dana2020 »

My Three Sons: Fred MacMurray played widowed father Steve Douglas. Steve was not a very demonstrative father. Sidenote: In most everything I have ever seen Fred MacMurray, he seemed like a very naturally reserved person. However, his kids always came to him for advice and you could see the love for his boys in his eyes.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest »

there were other Father and Son shows but what I feel sets Rifleman apart from them was the extent of the LOVE and emotions shown.

but then it was a western so you could show episodes where Mark was lost in a cave, or drowning in quicksand or getting kidnapped or running away from home so they could really show a DEPTH of emotions. Chuck was a loving family man to four boys and it was natural for him and Johnny was an outstanding child actor with a range of emotions. and the producers were family men also so they may have promoted this in the writing. they were not afraid to show Mark kiss Lucas and them hugging and such. no other show comes close in my book
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:
Zanza
Stagecoach Driver
Stagecoach Driver

Post by Zanza »

Hardcastle and McCormick. Milton C Hardcastle is not Mark McCormick's father, he's the judge who sent McCormick to prison for two years for car theft, but the whole show was about the relationship that grew between these two men. I would put it second only to Rifleman in terms of the strength of the bond and the love between the two characters. From the very beginning Hardcastle would come to McCormick's rescue as ferociously as Luke ever came to Mark's rescue. Hardcastle would charge in with guns blazing, or he would break the law, or even throw out his own moral code if McCormick was in danger. And McCormick would respond with everything from physical violence to risking getting sent back to prison to save Hardcastle, including two prison breaks when Hardcastle was arrested and McCormick feared for his life.

The writing was top notch and included some really nice bookends. One was in the first season when Hardcastle was nominated for the Supreme Court and he was embarrassed to take an ex-con to Washington with him. By the third season when Hardcastle was up for a local office, he was proud to have McCormick stand beside him and he was barking that McCormick had paid his debt to society and he was a citizen in good standing.

The most touching bookend was the basketball game. In the first episode, McCormick has been moved into the guesthouse on Hardcastle's estate and he gets woken up by the judge playing basketball in the middle of the night. McCormick goes out to play basketball, not because he wants to but because he can't sleep. In the last episode, McCormick has a clean slate and wants to go to law school but he can't afford it. Hardcastle challenges him to a basketball game and says if he loses he'll pay for McCormick's tuition. Hardcastle knew McCormick wouldn't just take the money if it was handed to him but if he won the game he would accept it, and Hardcastle threw the game. Hardcastle was all alone in the world, his wife and his son had both died, and by the end of the show, McCormick was his son as much as any blood relative could be. Very different dynamic than Rifleman, if McCormick tried to hug Hardcastle, the judge would yell at him to stop slobbering on him, but the love between these two men who became father and son was quite something to see.

<><
Dana2020
Sodbuster
Sodbuster

Post by Dana2020 »

Two and a Half Men: Jake gets on his dad Alan and Uncle Charlie's very last nerve, but they adore each other. Charlie grouses about Alan and Charlie living in his house, but Charlie is always there for his brother and nephew- even though Charlie might make a detour to a pretty girl to get there.

Return to “TV Westerns”