Laramie (UglyBug)

Saddle up, pardner, and let's ride into the world of the television Westerns.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Laramie (UglyBug)

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:29 am

clarkster:37095 wrote:Yes I saw the color dvd set of Wagon Train not long after it came out.The video quality is quite acceptable.But a lot of the episodes are edited/syndicated versions.So not the full 75 minutes they should be.I think most run around 70 minutes so not too bad.Season 5 is being released in a few weeks so hopefully 6 and then 7/color season will come out also.Clark
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:31 am

UglyBug:37096 wrote:Oh, that is good news!  I know the original Maverick is also being released after all these years at the end of May, at least the first season.  Of course, I've never seen it, so I can't say whether I'll like it, but I do like James Garner.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:32 am

Duchess McCain:37100 wrote:I do like that they actually work there at the Sherman Ranch.  Clark, you are right about the Ponderosa . . . I think the most ranch 'work' you see them doing is in the books.  But don't get me wrong, Bonanza is a great show, and I do like to watch it.  

One of my favorite episodes is where Ms. Daisy gets Slim and Jess to paint. :grin:  I love how at the end Mike says he doesn't want to be like Jess, and Ms. Daisy says "Mike, you could do a lot worse!"  And Mike replies "I could do a lot better too;  I could be smart like you!"
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:36 am

clarkster:37101 wrote:That was a very nice compliment for Mike to pay Ms.Daisy.And flattering.It would be awesome for the encore western channel to get rights to Laramie.They always show episodes uncut and in great picture quality.Most of the time they show the complete series with a few exceptions like Wagon Train and Rawhide.Hopefully they will add 1 or 2 more shows to their schedule this summer.Clark
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 am

UglyBug:37103 wrote:I just watched the painting episode!  

I gave up  on the color after one episode, so now I've just dialed the color right out on my TV.  It's better in black & white.

I love the strange economics in Laramie, too.  In one of the first episodes, Jess figures $2 for bail, $15 for a horse, and $20 for a new set of clothes.  How could a horse be cheaper than clothes??  And so far in season 3, every time there is a large sum of money in jeopardy, it's always $20,000.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:40 am

clarkster:37104 wrote:If and when remastered versions of the color seasons 3/4 come out I think you will love them.Im sure I will.bad dupes from vhs are a lot different than colorized versions of black and white series.Some people are very much against the latter.But If they well done then I enjoy them.I have the b/w Disney Zorro dvds but I usualy pull out the colorized to watch.Same with I Dream of Jeannie season 1,Bewitched seasons 1 & 2.About the cost of clothes vs horses..Was Jess dressed up in fancy duds like Bat
Masterson?.No I didnt think so.Just kidding:).Clark
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:41 am

UglyBug:37108 wrote:Ha!  Not fancy duds, just regular old cowboy gear.  It was The Lawbreakers, where Jess was pretending to be a bad guy so John McIntire would lead him to the buried loot.

I just watched a season three episode where Slim witnesses the Wounded Knee Massacre, which took place in 1890.  Considering the show is set in the 1970s, that's quite a trick!  I guess it's the same kind of time travel that allows Lucas McCain to have an 1892 rifle in the 1880s.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:42 am

Duchess McCain:37109 wrote:Dates are a funny thing when it comes to westerns.  However, I did a lot of checking into dates for the last installment of my story.  Lew Wallace became governor a year before Lucas and Mark moved to Northfork.  Billy the Kid died a month before they rebuilt their house.  There all sorts of other coinciding dates that I think are fascinating, but I guess you'll have to wait for the next few installments to get those. :)

I still think it would be fun to write "meeting" short stories.  Where Laramie meets the Rifleman.  Where Lucas visits the Pondorsa.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:44 am

clarkster:37110 wrote:Yes sometimes scripwriters for tv westerns were not accurate time wise.Or historically either.Such as Ned Buntline giving the very long barreled pistol to Wyatt Earp.Never happened.I agree Duchess that it is interesting to speculate on our favorite western heros meeting.I did that on a yahoo group a while back about Paladin and Marshal Dan Troop.How would they get along the staunch lawman and the gun for hire.And also recasting for the film Magnicent 7.Lucas,Duke Wayne,John Russell,Robert Fuller,Clint Walker,James Arness,and last my fav Cartwright Pernell Roberts.Clark
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:46 am

BluewindFarm:37112 wrote:Duchess, don't tease us like that.  Some of us are not that patient when it comes to waiting for the next installment!

As for 'meeting' stories, check out my story under The Writer's Corner, The Night of the Shallow Grave.  If you're up on how a certain series titled the episodes, you
clarkster:37110 wrote:Yes sometimes scripwriters for tv westerns were not accurate time wise.Or historically either.Such as Ned Buntline giving the very long barreled pistol to Wyatt Earp.Never happened.I agree Duchess that it is interesting to speculate on our favorite western heros meeting.I did that on a yahoo group a while back about Paladin and Marshal Dan Troop.How would they get along the staunch lawman and the gun for hire.And also recasting for the film Magnicent 7.Lucas,Duke Wayne,John Russell,Robert Fuller,Clint Walker,James Arness,and last my fav Cartwright Pernell Roberts.Clark
should easily guess who visits North Fork.

I too have checked out historical figures to include in some of my stories as well as my saga and have been surprised at times to realize 'that' didn't happen when I thought it did because of what I've seen on TV or movies.  It's fun creating stories to mix fact with fiction.
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “TV Westerns”