Wagon Train

Saddle up, pardner, and let's ride into the world of the television Westerns.
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Wagon Train

Post by Deneen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:45 pm

CowGirl ~ After reading your posts about "Wagon Train" - I saw "The Andrew Hale Story".

It was kinda eerie to see John McIntire and Ward Bond together in that episode knowing John would replace Ward as Wagon Master.

In this episode - Major Adams gets sick and Andrew Hale (John McIntire) has to replace Major Adams as the wagon master.

I haven't seen enough episodes to know if Major Adams was married. I noticed that he had on a wedding band.

~Deneen~

Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Wagon Train

Post by wildwest » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Thank you. good info. I am going to have to pull up more of the Wagon Train reruns to watch. I really don't know the back story about the show and its characters. there were some talented actors on it. I am glad MeTV and INSP are both running these great old shows.

did Ward Bond die and is that when John McIntyre became wagon master?

I have been trying to follow the old Virginians. I liked the original cast with Lee J Cobb and Roberta Shore, Clu Gulagher. But when they started making changes to Shiloh ranch it was not as good. James Drury and Doug McClure were always good on the eyes in color though!

I saw an episode with a young Robert Redford on it. and Bette Davis guest starred once. Randy Boone was on for several seasons (he sang and played guitar) He is the nephew of Pat Boone. One person that surprised me on The Virginian was David Hartman. we know him as the host on Good Morning America. He was on the show maybe a dozen episodes. 6" 5" tall, rode a horse well and was a pretty good cowboy. really surprised me.

another one who really surprised me on this show was a guest appearance by Hugh Beaumont. he rode well and was a pretty good cowboy also. I just could not think of he Beavers Dad as a cowboy. Hugh died living in Munich West Germany.

its amazing how these actors get type cast and its hard to see them in other roles. Whenever Chuck did other roles, I was always lookin' for his Lucas-isms and they were usually there.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:30 pm

I've been surprised at some of the guest stars I've seen on westerns.

Bette Davis was on Wagon Train.

Butch Patrick (Eddie Munster) was also on an episode of Wagon Train.

A lot of the guest stars I see on The Rifleman are also seen on "GunSmoke".
I'm really getting back to watching more westerns now. :happycowboy:

~Deneen~

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:55 pm

"Wagon Train" (The Steele Family) was hilarious today.

"Guilty Conscience" ~ Lee Patrick (Leota Carreway) was a guest star.
(Micah asked Leota if he could call her Lee.)

Watching Lee Patrick on "Wagon Train" was like watching Leota - except she had 4 daughters. :lol:
Major Adams was very funny in this episode and he looked very nice in a suit. :happycowboy:

~Deneen~

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:52 am

Deneen: did Ward Bond die and is that when John McIntyre became wagon master?
Yes that is why John McIntire took over. I think when Ward Bond die, JM being a wagon master in an earlier episode help set this role up for him. Which was a good pick.

I think the same thing happened with Chester and Festus. Again when Chester left Gunsmoke, Festus appeared on Gunsmoke a few times. I think he might have been deputized too at one time and I think this help set this role up for him. Which was a good pick also.
Deneen: I have been trying to follow the old Virginians. I liked the original cast with Lee J Cobb and Roberta Shore, Clu Gulagher. But when they started making changes to Shiloh ranch it was not as good. James Drury and Doug McClure were always good on the eyes in color though!
I agree with you, on this. I am having trouble watching Shiloh. Although Lee Majors is good on the eyes.

Did you get to see the one with Chuck in it? (The Animal)

Joe Benson who I'm sure most of you know by now, had appeared on Shilo. His son had sent me the info on him but didn't know the name of the episode he was in. While watching The Men from Shiloh ― The Mysterious Mr. Tate, I happened to spot Joe as one of the cowboys that was going to hang Tate.

Now I'm looking for him in The Untouchables. :grinning-cowboy:

Did you ever see Patricia Blair & Robert Redford appear together in The Virginian? Very good episode! A must see!

When you get into the TV Westerns, they are my favorite!
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:25 am

Not sure if it was Robert Horton or Robert Fuller, one of them told a cute story at the FOTW about Bette Davis & Joan Crawford. Of course you've heard of their feud, right? Who hasn't? :sillycowboy:

I guess he was friends with both of them and Joan Crawford got upset because Bette Davis was on Wagon Train. He told her he had nothing to do with it. She never talked to him again. You gotta hear Robert Fuller tell his stories, and what neat ones he has to tell and what a great story tell he is! I especially liked his story about Rhonda Flemings.

Did you ever see Bette Davis in Apple Annie with Glenn Ford? Great movie! I wish they would bring it back, I'd love to see it again.

That's what so neat about these old westerns, gotta love those character actors! :happycowboy:
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Watching Lee Patrick on "Wagon Train" was like watching Leota - except she had 4 daughters. :lol:
Major Adams was very funny in this episode and he looked very nice in a suit. :happycowboy:
I saw this episode the other day and thought the same thing! Enjoyed it very much!

I haven't seen all the Wagon Train episodes yet so I'm loving watching it. Still would like to see Robert Fuller on Laramie... never seen it before.
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:55 pm

I have always been a fan of Robert Fuller. now that I am watching more Wagon Train I am getting to like Robert Horton also.....died 2016.

and we all know Johnny was on Wagon Train....Sally Potter Story 1958. a real small part but I imagine his parents could not imagine Johnny would soon be on his own show.

I liked The Virginian better than Men From Shiloh. Virginian had so many great guest stars....Bette Davis. George C Scott, William Shatner, Joey Heatherton, Kurt Russell as well as the ones already mentioned. and I think you met Robert Fuller?

we discussed one time the term Chuck Wagon......Chuck means food.....once in a western, I think Wagon Train, the cook said......Chuck is ready (food)....had not heard that before

I just love the Westerns.....A hard but wonderful time in our pioneer history.......Head 'em up and move 'em out.... Even Lucas said that to Mark in Tension........."Head 'em up and move 'em on boy."

:covered_wagon: :horse02:
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to “TV Westerns”