Zane Grey Theatre

Saddle up, pardner, and let's ride into the world of the television Westerns.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Zane Grey Theatre

Post by cowgirl » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am

Most of us know that Zane Grey Theatre (1956–1961) originally gave us The Rifleman / The Sharpshooter, but have you ever seen any of the other episodes?

These are great stories that Dick Powell has to tell. If you haven't seen this show it is a must for TV western fans.

The other day Dabbs Greer was Sheriff of a town. Paul Fix was Richard Anderson's father, Dennis Hopper & Ben Cooper had a gunfight, Michael Landon was the nephew of John Dehner and so on and so on.

In just about every episode we see North Fork or the McCain Ranch and many of the character actors that was on The Rifleman including Archie Butler.

Wanted: Dead or Alive, with Steve McQueen playing the bounty hunter Josh Randall, was a CBS spinoff of Trackdown.

Outdoor sequences for the episode were shot on the famed Iverson Movie Ranch in Chatsworth, Calif., known as the most heavily filmed outdoor location in the history of the movies and television. A number of scenes take place amid a grove of oak trees on the location ranch that later came to be known as the Midway Oaks, with one of the trees — a multi-trunked oak that leans heavily to one side — becoming known as the Forsythe Oak, named in honor of John Forsythe's appearance in the episode. The Forsythe Oak remains in place today in the back yard of a private estate on the former Iverson Movie Ranch.

If you get a chance to see this series don't pass it up. :grinning-cowboy:
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Zane Grey Theatre

Post by wildwest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm

I have seen the original Sharpshooter but not many of the others. this is such rich information, thanks Cowgirl. I will check these out. that era was definitely GOOD television with all those great actors
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Zane Grey Theatre

Post by Deneen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 pm

cowgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:08 am
Most of us know that Zane Grey Theatre (1956–1961) originally gave us The Rifleman / The Sharpshooter, but have you ever seen any of the other episodes?

In just about every episode we see North Fork or the McCain Ranch and many of the character actors that was on The Rifleman including Archie Butler.
Yes - Yes - Yes :happycowboy:

I saw an episode the other day. There it was - the McCain Ranch. Even the ladder in the barn. And one of the characters on that episode was named Lucas.

Archie Butler was a busy man. I've seen him on "The Big Valley" and "GunSmoke".

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Return to “TV Westerns”