Fosse/Verdon

We all love Westerns, but there are lots of good non-western television shows as well! Come on in and share your memories with us!
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Fosse/Verdon

Post by Dana » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 pm

I might have more comments later, but right now, all I can manage is Sam Rockwell as Bob Fosse and Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon! Wow!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Fosse/Verdon

Post by Dana » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm

Michelle Williams is one of my favorite actresses. In last week's episode, she had two of the best lines ever! When viewing the dancers in the chorus line of cabaret, she asks why there is an inept dancer in the background. The film editor replies the dancer is washed up. Gwen Verdon retorts that washed-up does not mean incompetent.
Second great line: when her estranged husband Bob Fosse says she can dance and sing, but can she act?, Gwen Verdon retorts he thought she was glad to see him when he showed up at her place unexpectedly.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat May 04, 2019 8:57 pm

I mentioned this in another column, but I thought it was worth mentioning again. There is a Rifleman connection here. Ben Vereen who played Chicken George, Tom Moore's son in Roots, got his first big break in Pippin, which was directed and choreographed by Bob Fosse.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 am

I read somewhere that Bob Fosse wanted to play the emcee in Cabaret.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 am

Bob Fosse is the only person ever to win an Emmy (liza with a z), Oscar (cabaret), and Tony (Pippin) in the same year.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun May 26, 2019 6:32 pm

Tragically, vivien Leigh died at 53. She always looked young for her age though. Imagine her as charity Valentine in sweet charity, Sally Bowles in Cabaret, and Roxie Hart or Velma Kelly in Chicago!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue May 28, 2019 2:12 am

Give yourselves a treat and find the recording of Irene Ryan as Berthe singing In no Time at All" in Pippin. She literally stopped the show. The audience went wild. Rather than immediately leaving the stage as she had done in rehearsal, she stayed to enjoy the applause. When Bob Fosse asked her about it later, she replied "Bobby, I've been waiting all my life for that sound, don't you dare take it away from me!"

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 am

When Bob danced at the funeral of his best friend paddy chayefsky and the last time gwen dancedfor Bob! Wow!

Return to “TV Non-Westerns”