The Followers part 1 & 2 - Written by stantler16

If you have a story to post, this is the place to do so. This is where you can show off your talent. Once you have finished posting your story, please send me a copy of it in it's original format to add it to this section of The McCain Ranch website. We here at the ranch enjoy these great stories, keep 'em coming!
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

The Followers part 1 & 2 - Written by stantler16

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:23 pm

stantler16:12784 wrote:I took a step forward, his eyed darted between us.  He was quiet, he moved silently and his tracks were nearly invisible.  My rifle lay against the snow covered log, my gun belt by my gear.  He stood there glaring, didn't move an inch, just started.  Probably trying to decide what to do.  His hair swayed in the wind and his nose twitched when the wind blow my direction.  I did not think I smelled that bad.   So I had not  taken a shower in a couple of days, it is the beginning of winter who would want to get cleaned in a lake at that time!  I was not scared, but nervous the past days started to replay in my head.

I was running an errand for Pa while he was away.  As I rode back, I met one of my old buddies.  We started talking and he told my how his pa met this Indian.  The old Indian told him about a mystic being liven in the hills.  I wondered if it was true, even if it wasn't it still fascinated me.  The Apache Indians called it Mato (Mah-toe), which means to kill. We said our good byes, I went down the trail, he went back to the pond to fish.  As I was stopped by the house, I felt a cold breeze sweep through my coat.  The winter storm would be coming soon and Pa still had not come back from Stanton's, which was only a few days ride from here.  I got the axe and started chopping wood.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw an object movin.  I turned quickly around, nothing was there only the house and the barn.  The trees on the hills swayed back and forth, the long grass kept amazing tempo with it.  I decided right then that Pa was not coming anytime soon, so I would make sure everything was secure here and right out to the Stantons to see him. ( I was also getting a little freaked out being alone and all!)

I realized the path would be to long and I would not get there for another 3 days.  So I decided again I would cut through the hills. I did not believe my friend or his father.  I rode up the hill and the wind picked up fast, it blew me this way and that, but I kept going.  Up ahead I saw shelter, an abandoned warehouse where tools for cattle were kept, now it was just a  place to stay through the winter for trappers and Indians.  I rode up and saw no signs of life.  I went inside and it was freezing, some old fire wood was piled up beside.  I would be fine, so I thought!

I woke up to a warm shack, looked down and felt my stomach grumble.  I went to the cupboard and noticed there was no food.  I looked everywhere and everywhere was emptied. That's perfect now I have to go out and hunt for something.  I walked to the door and opened it and could not believe my eyes.  I came in on brown ground and a black horse, I go hunting on white puff and frozen turf plus a spotted horse.  I made a decision to let my horse stay in the little horse next to the shack.  Its main purpose was to hold hides for trappers, but it would serve as a shelter for now.  Luckily I brought some horse treats and some extra water.  

The snow was pillow soft.  My rifle was in my left hand while a bag for my findings was in my right. I heard a sound behind me and swear I saw a movement, but nothing was behind me.  As I came around a tree I spotted a 6-point buck.  He noticed me and the chase was on.  He out ran me, but I was stupid and did not know from which way I came.  I tried coming back the way I thought I came, but it was no use.  "PAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, WHERE ARE YOU?"  I screamed to the world.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Followers part 2

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

stantler16:12806 wrote:My feet were frozen and my body shivered.  My last memory was tripping over a tree root and seeing a grey shadow slow approach me.  I awoke to a nice, warm fire.  My body was sore and I could not move my feet well.  I pushed up on my elbows and looked around, I was in a cave and  no sign of a living soul showed.  I started to move toward the fire to warm up better when a young man came to the entrance of the cave.  He wore Indian pants, and Indian everything.  He was an Indian, a pure Indian.  I was shocked to see an Indian way out hear.  
"You fill all right?  I fond you out an the stom, you wes hurt." He tried to speak English, it was not bad, just hard to understand.
"I am grateful you saved me. Who are you?"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Followers part 2

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

BluewindFarm:12807 wrote:Stantler, glad to see you writing again