The days My world stood still Written by stantler16

If you have a story to post, this is the place to do so. This is where you can show off your talent. Once you have finished posting your story, please send me a copy of it in it's original format to add it to this section of The McCain Ranch website. We here at the ranch enjoy these great stories, keep 'em coming!
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

The days My world stood still Written by stantler16

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:30 pm

stantler16:11763 wrote:This has nothing to do with the rifleman, unless you want to think some one is telling Mark this, THIS STORY IS ABOUT MY COUSIN WHO DIED DOING SOMETHING HE LOVED. TRUE FACTS, NO LIES.  More information go look up Iron 44 on the internet or Youtube, thank you.

Part 1 of the IRON 44.

I stood, standing with my new friends.  I can't remeber what we were laughing about at the time, but it was funny.  Next to me Josh stood, his brown hair moving slightly in the wind.  I looked over to my left and saw Eighty bringing three people toward our tent.  Two were wearing forestry shirts, the other person was the camp host.  His old face hung with sorrow, and the other people did not look happy either. We stopped laughing and called the adults.  The other people were out fishing and my cousin Colleen had the other kids, they were hiking.  
 The tall forestry man asked,"Is Catherine Renno here?"  I stood there and looked at the adults waiting for someone to say something.  Finally someone spoke, "No, she is in the next camp.  I am her sister Eilleen is something wrong?"  She lead them to the next camp.  Everyone in camp knew something was wrong.  I went over to my sister and crossed my arms.  "What do you think is wrong?" She replied instantly, "I think something is wrong with Caleb."  
"No nothing is wrong with him, he is fine."  I tried to convince myself, but I too belived something was wrong.  Then, my mom came walking in asking what was wrong because every one had on a grim face.  I quickly told her what happened, and she rushed over to the camp site where my aunt and the three strangers were. Time passed slowly, as everyone poured back into the camp.  One of the dads stayed with us, whilel my cousins and friends' parents went to my aunt.  Then I heard a sound.  A woman screaming, then crying.  I looked at everyone's face; Josh, Eighty and her brother looked scared, and worried.  Hannah looked scared and had a nervous look on her face.  I looked at my sister, Jenny Wishing my brother,Pat, was back so he could protect us, but he was in another part of the woods then.  
   I looked at the road and saw my cousin, Colleen being driven away by her boyfriend.  Her face was red and she was crying  hard.  I looked at my sister and kept repeating,"nothing happened to Caleb he is alright, nothing happened."  Finally, one of the parents came and spoke to the man watching us.  His faced hardend and he turned toward our direction.  I started to walk away, but stopped to hear, ".....was in a helicopter and it went down...HE DIED." The world and my brain stopped functioning .  My sister burst out crying, like she knew and was waiting for the whole world to know the news.  "No, no, no ,no" she muttered between sobs.  I hate crying and kept it in till I got to her side.  The tables had turned, I, the little sister, was being the big sister, cuddling her in my arms.  
     We tried to make our way to that campsite, but stopped by on a log half way.  I sat there with my arm around my sister sobbing, I was wondering where by mom was.  Why was she not here holding us, and sharing our feelings with us?  My brother came strolling up looking concerned at us. "What's wrong?"
I replied, choking on the words," Caleb....Dead..Crash."
"What did you say?" he asked, stunned.  He sat down between my sister and me.  I laid my head on his chest, and cried.  Thinking about Caleb his last words to me about four days ago, asking God why. Everything stopped in my head.  Just a painful feeling, nothing else.  My brother, was crying, my sister and I cried along with him.  But where was my mom? My dad was back in Maryland 3000 miles away, what could he do?  I felt sick and dizzy and cold, so I huddled closer to my brother.

I will be writing a book about this, but please tell me your thoughts about this.  Thanks!
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The days My world stood still

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:31 pm

chrisb6263:11767 wrote:Stantler, I'm so deeply sorry about the loss of your dear cousin Caleb.  Are you speaking about this in the first person?  In other words, were you in California at this time?  If so, that had to be so much more shocking and devastating for you....I found the YouTube tribute to Caleb and the rest of the firefighters who perished that day.  I'm adding that link here - I hope you don't mind that.  I think the ranch members would benefit from watching it.  Caleb sounds like he was a very special young man - and a very spiritual one as well.  I am certain that God welcomed him into Heaven that day with open arms.  Thank you for opening up and sharing that with us - just know that you have the sympathy, support, understanding and love of everyone here at the ranch, and those sentiments are equally extended to Caleb's family and friends.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ9K6ZgBhm0

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Jana:11783 wrote:Stantler, I am so very sorry for your loss.  Your cousin sounds like a wonderful person....I wish I had known him.  It is very brave of you to write about your experience and you did it very well!  You are a talented writer and have a very good start on your book.  Thank you so much for sharing this with us.   I would love to read more!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:33 pm

cowgirl:12319 wrote:Stantler, I'm so deeply sorry about the loss of your cousin Caleb.

He was a brave & caring man.  One I would have been proud to know.

This truly a great tribute!

My heart/prayers goes out to you & Caleb's family.

Please keep us informed about your book!  I for one will be there to get it!

Return to “The Writer's Corner”