Rifleman Reboot

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Rifleman Reboot

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 pm

ralphm1999:35172 wrote:I see the Rifleman rises once again.  A new surge of popularity.  

Do you guys know that it is being broadcast in excellent quality on METV.
You can find out what station carries it in your area at this link below.   Click on the "SEARCH' button on the upper right and a window will open for your zip code.   That will be followed by the stations in your area.   The series is shown 6 days a week with two episodes each day.   It has just started from the first episode again.  

http://metvnetwork.com/

As you read on my blog, Robert Taylor Detectives was my regular show.  Whenever RTD went on hiatus I was booked on one of the many series being filmed at Four Star Prod.   The clip on my blog is probably the only one where you can really see me.   I worked The Rifleman a few other times but was so far in the distance you can't recognize me walking on the street in North Fork.  lol.  

In case anyone has not figured it out, the entire main street of North Fork was built on a sound stage so we were always indoors.   The horses walking in the background were corralled at either end of the street around the corner.  

You probably noticed the slim cowboy in each episode who never talks.   Whitey Hughes; he doubled Johnny Crawford in stunts and stood in for him.   I knew Whitey  since he also did some stunts on the Robert Taylor Detectives show.   I knew many of the stuntmen from the 50s as so many were used on the Detectives.   And yes, Whitey loved to play pitch and got plenty of my money. lol.  Found a pic of Whitey as I knew him on the far right:

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/co-stars ... indian.jpg

Oh and BTW have you noticed any similarity between North Fork and the town that Steve McQueen strolled around in.... Both series used the same sound stage with it's permanent Western Street.   I also worked Wanted Dear Or Alive a few times, in fact there was not a Western series in the late 1950s I did not work at least once.   I played Pitch with Hoss several times.   Pitch is the favorite cowboy game.  You could not walk on a Western set without a Pitch game in progress with actors and extras equally engrossed in this fast fast paced game.  :)

Here are the rules for Pitch:

http://boardgames.about.com/od/cardgames/a/pitch.htm

It is a very fast game.  It only takes about 5 minutes at most to play one game.   Stakes run from .10 cents to a dollar keeping in mind that in 1953 our daily rate was $8 for 8 hours and in the late 50s we were getting $18.50 for 8 hours.  If you get the bid you either collect from all the players or pay all the players.  You can bid up to 4 points so if you get the bid for 4 and win and there are six players and it is $1 per point you would win $20 or pay $20 if you lose.   I usually only played in .10 per point games.  But Hoss never would play for less than $1 per point.  I never lasted more than a couple of games when I played with him and I only did so for the prestige of saying I had played with him. lol.

If you want to remain a true Western fan put on your hat and boots get a group around a table, deal the cards and start playing pitch until the AD calls you into the set and you'll know how we passed our time between scenes.  In fact each time you see a group of extra cowboys sitting around a round table in the background with the cards flying, you'll know they continued their pitch games right through the entire filming (as we used to call it before taping was developed).

A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rifleman Reboot

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 pm

cowgirl:35175 wrote:Do you remember any of the other episodes of "The Rifleman" you were in other than 'The Fourflushers?'

I do have a question about one of the character actors that was in this episode.  Phillip & I are trying to figure out who he is, hopefully you can help us.

Here is a picture of him.....

James Westerfield is on the left, do you know who the cowboy on the right is?
Oh and BTW have you noticed any similarity between North Fork and the town that Steve McQueen strolled around in.... Both series used the same sound stage with it's permanent Western Street.

I have noticed North Fork & The McCain Ranch in several of the old western classics.  

One of my favorites is Zane Grey, this has North Fork & The McCain Ranch all over it!  But then this also was a Four Stars Production.  

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff31 ... 20Theatre/

Have you ever been at these locations?  This of course was earlier and "The Rifleman" was film there earlier & as you mentioned later on a set.  Was that a Studio city?  

Interesting about 'pitch.'  I never really thought about that.  I mean what all everyone did in between takes.  

It is a known fact that the stars rode their bikes to get from one place to the other.  Did they ever ride their bikes on the set when you were there?
until the AD calls you into the set and you'll know how we passed our time between scenes.
Tell us about the 'AD'
In fact each time you see a group of extra cowboys sitting around a round table in the background with the cards flying, you'll know they continued their pitch games right through the entire filming
I couldn't help but wonder in some of the scenes if there wasn't already a card game going on.

'The Baby Sitter' is a good example of this.....

In the background of this picture you can see Whitey Hughes & Bert Stevens.  (Barbara Stanwyck's brother)
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

ralphm1999:35214 wrote:
cowgirl:35175 wrote: Tell us about the 'AD'
I found this list of Assistant Directors for the Rifleman on IMDB.

As you can see Marty Moss was the real assigned AD with others filling in.

Series Second Unit Director or Assistant Director
Marty Moss .... assistant director (69 episodes, 1959-1963)
Jack Sonntag .... assistant director (18 episodes, 1958-1959)
Norman S. Powell .... assistant director (17 episodes, 1959)
Mike Salamunovich .... assistant director (9 episodes, 1959-1961)
Don Torpin .... assistant director (9 episodes, 1960-1962)
Lloyd Allen .... assistant director (7 episodes, 1960-1963)
Edward O. Denault .... assistant director (6 episodes, 1960)
Read Killgore .... assistant director (5 episodes, 1960-1961)
Cy Brooskin .... assistant director (4 episodes, 1960-1963)
Nathan Barragar .... assistant director (4 episodes, 1961-1962)
Ray Taylor Jr. .... assistant director (3 episodes, 1961)
Barry Crane .... assistant director (2 episodes, 1959)
Howard Joslin .... assistant director (2 episodes, 1959)
Bob White .... assistant director (2 episodes, 1961)

I worked under almost every one of these ADs during my days at Four Star Productions.   You can see Cy Brooskin listed, the AD who started me as a stand-in on The Black Saddle.  

This kind of ties in with your question about Stock Players.   In the 50s the studios still hired players and stars for long term contracts.   So these stock players are on long term contracts.  I can't speak to the contract details but would guess that Four Star has first dibs to book them though they are free to work anywhere when not employed by Four Star.   Do you notice how often John Dehner is reincarnated on The Rifleman as well as so many others.   If you looked at John's filmography you will see that he worked many of the other productions at Four Star.   So too, Four Star tended to keep the same assistant directors around rotating them around the many series in production.   I think I remember Marty Moss.  If I;m not mistaken he was kind of a short cowboyish looking person.   He fit in perfectly with the Rifleman theme. :)  

Notice Norm Powell in the list.   I worked with him many times on Robert Taylor Detectives.   You would think he was related to Dick Powell but actually he was Joan Blondell's son.

In fact I stood in for him on a David Niven show.   I remember this clearly because Anne Francis was the co-star.   In those days I was a very good chess player.   Many stars played chess and I had a kind of unbeatable reputation at Four Star.  John Dehner was one of those who loved to play chess.   He asked me to play a game with him during lunch.  While we were playing Anne Francis came over and watched us.   When I beat him she asked me if she could play a game with me.  Of course I was delighted.   I beat her and then suggested I could teach her some chess moves at her house.   She declined... said her boyfriend would not like it..
But she laughed and did not get upset with me for asking.   She even kept chatting with me when we both were idle for the rest of the day.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 pm

cowgirl:35224 wrote:
Do you notice how often John Dehner is reincarnated on The Rifleman as well as so many others.
Yes I have as so many others.  That's why I started the Charactor Actor pages years ago.  Also the One timers Only.  They are all such interesting people as you are.

In fact I have to add you to one of these pages, but I only know of 'The Fourflushers,' but I'm sure you said you were in other episodes, right?  I could list you as a One Time Only with a question behind your name or vise versa.   :wink: I just might do that!

Joan Blondell & Anne Francis, how neat!

I remember watching Honey West (Anne Francis) as a kid, but I'm am partial to Joan Blondell.  Loved "Here Comes the Brides."  Although I know she has done many other greater things!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:07 pm

ralphm1999:35233 wrote:
cowgirl:35224 wrote: In fact I have to add you to one of these pages, but I only know of 'The Fourflushers,' but I'm sure you said you were in other episodes, right?  I could list you as a One Time Only with a question behind your name or vise versa.   :wink: I just might do that!
I worked Rifleman many times but I think this was the only episode you can see me.   Most of the time I was just some cowboy way off in the distance crossing the street or walking along the sidewalk.   Most likely I did not have the real cowboy look and was only there to keep me busy while Robert Taylor Detectives was on hiatus.   Consider that of my 10 most active years, 1953 - 1963 the last two were almost exclusively at Four Star... so I probably logged over 300 days there working all over the lot.  It's very hard to pick out any individual moments unless something happened such as trying to get a date with Anne Francis.   :roll:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 pm

ralphm1999:35235 wrote:As long as we're name dropping may I add one other scenario.   I'm pretty sure the very first movie I was booked on was Sabrina.  I remember I was so nervous I stopped in the bar across the street from the extras entrance at Paramount and had 3 shots of scotch to settle my nerves.   :oops:

After a while I started to relax on the stage when I noticed that during lunch Humphrey Bogart was playing chess behind the set.   There was a line waiting to play with him.  I got in line and not long after was sitting opposite him setting up the board.  It took about 2 minutes for him to beat me.  I was so nervous and overwhelmed to be playing with him I could not remember a single move to make.  But it was a great entree for me into the business.  :razz:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

cowgirl:35250 wrote:Anne Francis & Humphrey Bogart!  WOW!  What great memories!  Thanks for sharing them.

As for chess, they would have beaten me for sure, nervous or not!   :wink:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

ralphm1999:37097 wrote:
cowgirl:35175 wrote:
It is a known fact that the stars rode their bikes to get from one place to the other.  Did they ever ride their bikes on the set when you were there?
I noticed I forgot to reply to some of your queries.   Everybody had a bike myself included and we all rode them constantly.    I can't remember if it was my own bike or supplied by the studio.  The bikes were rarely ridden on the sets especially not on Westerns as the sandy streets were too rough for bicycles.  But we rode them to the commissary for lunch and very often the stars just rode them around the outsides of the stages to get some exercise.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

ralphm1999:37123 wrote:Discussing the ADs on Rifleman and other 4 star shows, you made me curious why Norm Powell was named Powell when he was Joan Blondell's son. Found this on Joan Blondell's IMDB and mystery solved.:roll:

Strange; though I worked for Norm on dozens of 4 star shows I never thought of him related to Dick Powell.

From IMDB:

"Mother of Norman S. Powell from her marriage to George Barnes. He was adopted by Dick Powell in February, 1938. Mother of Ellen Powell from her marriage to Dick Powell."

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

cowgirl:50530 wrote:Ralph, do you remember working under Don Torpin? I'd be interested in anything you might remember.

Return to “Rifleman Reboot”