Wanted Dead or Alive

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Wanted Dead or Alive

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm

cowgirl:50225 wrote:Ralph, thanks for this wealth of information.

How did you get started in this business and at what age?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:35 pm

ralphm1999:50226 wrote:
Rhody:50223 wrote:Thanks so much Ralph!  

That was such fun and wonderful getting the real scoop from someone who was there.  I love how everyone was treated fairly equal , especially in the commissary .

I was a little surprised at the answer to the rifle question .  I have read where Chuck would take it home to practice ( once resulting in the police investigating) and I have seen pics of him ( and Johnny) with it at his home.

Hope you don 't mind, I may come up with more questions.

Thanks again!
That could very likely be true.  I was never in his vicinity once he left the set.  Big stars like Chuck would have lots of leeway.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 pm

ralphm1999:50227 wrote:
cowgirl:50225 wrote:Ralp, thanks for this wealth of information.

How did you get started in this business and at what age?
During my last year in the Air Force I was transferred to Special Services.  I was 22.   That included the base radio station, the service clubs and anything dealing with entertainment for the troops.  One of my assignments was to handle the Operation Starlift visitors.  These were the Hollywood entertainers who would stop for a couple of days at Travis AFB on their way to Korea (during the Korean war).  They always gave a performance while at our base.  One group in particular included Herb Jeffries, June Christie, Gerogie Auld, Champ Butler, and was led by Larry Finley.  Larry was the Bob's Big Boy disc jockey who opened the MOP next to the Mocambo.   An AF staff car was always made available for the groups.  But Herb and Georgie declined the staff car and opted for me to be their driver.  In addition they declined the Officers Club and insisted on the Servicemen's club where they played pool with the regular enlisted men.   Over the course of the weekend all the members of the group became very chummy with me.  In fact the insisted I join them at the officers club for the traditional last day dinner before they left for Korea.   Since I was only a private I was not allowed in the Officers Club.  But Larry, Herb and Georgie forced me to come in.  

I sat with them at this long banquet table in the middle of all the officers tables.   My CO sat a nearby table.  I was the only GI sitting with these top Hollywood musicians and stars amid the envious stares of the crowded officers club.  Soon a buck sergeant attendant came over and whispered in my ear that Major xxxx orders me to leave immediately.   I get up and push my chair back when Herb asks me where I'm going. (he sat next to me).   I explain I'm ordered to leave.   He stands up and announces to the table that since Ralph has been ordered to leave we should all leave with him and he would treat us all to a banquet in San Francisco.  

Oops.  That would really rebound badly on me.   By now all the entertainers were standing and all the officers were watching.  So I meekly sat back down and asked them all to sit.  

My punishment I'll leave for another day.   Because I was so intimately connected to this group because of the officer club incident, Larry Finley invited me to his club.   I went there many times becoming friends with his favorite singer, Peggy lee who could always be found at the MOP when she was in town.   Larry tried to get me a spot on his radio station, KFWB, but there were no openings.   He suggested I start as an extra and work my way up.  I did.  I just did not have the goods to be a regular actor.
Last edited by cowgirl on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 pm

cowgirl:50238 wrote:Thanks for sharing your story Ralph. I found it very interesting. What a interesting life you have had!

Return to “Wanted Dead Or Alive”