Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Do you think you know all there is to know about The Rifleman? Well let's just see how much we all know about this show & it's characters.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Post by wildwest » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Thank you Judy. I just about cannot breathe just watching that scene. I am a big Gone With the Wind fan. I have been to Clark Gables home town museum and have also met some of the people in the movie. Also met John Clark Gable, Clarks son.

I guess those cinches were the early version of our 'spanx' garments
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Scarlett o'hara is a Great example! Thank you, ladies! Mr. Bullock says that misunderstandings are often differences of grammar. When Mark makes his infamous scene during the boarding house dinner, I believe it was a difference of East and West and male and female. In some social circles, a hale and hearty appetite was considered unladylike, whereas in the West not cleaning one's plate was considered wasteful and an indication one did not like what was being served. I read somewhere women usually ate more later in private.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:42 pm

A real happening in The Rifleman was in Guilty Conscience was when Mrs. Ramirez hurried over from the hotel and told Lucas to take her there – she’d cut her corset strings.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

wildwest wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:09 pm
Thank you Judy. I just about cannot breathe just watching that scene. I am a big Gone With the Wind fan. I have been to Clark Gables home town museum and have also met some of the people in the movie. Also met John Clark Gable, Clarks son.

I guess those cinches were the early version of our 'spanx' garments
You're welcome, Wildwest. I am also a Gone With The Wind fan, and I envy you for being able to go to Clark Gable's home town museum, and meeting some of the people who were in the movie, as well as Clark Gable's son. Out of curiosity, who were the people from the movie that you met?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I met and have pics and autographs of Fred Crane who was one of the Tarleton Twins in the opening scene on the porch. I think Fred actually said the first lines in the movie. Fred played Brent Tarleton and that is one of the crediting goofs in the movie.

The credits read "Brent Tarleton.....George Reeves, Stuart Tarleton.....Fred Crane," but that's backwards. David O. Selznick was informed of the error but decided it would be too costly to correct it. It's easy to remember which is which. George Reeves tells Scarlett that she'll dance with both of them: "First Brent, then me, then Brent, then me." So that means Crane played Brent and Reeves played Stuart.

Met Cammie King, Bonnie Blue.

Met Mickey Kuhn was was the boy Beau Wilkes when Melanie died. Mickey did some more acting but then was a commercial airline pilot for the rest of his life.

Met Patrick Curtis, he was cast in the uncredited part of Baby Beau Wilkes when they were escaping during the burning of Atlanta. He was a baby, I think he is stretching it a lot to say he was in the movie. Patricks uncle was film director Billy WIlder. I think a more claim to fame for Patrick is he was married to Raquel Welch

Met Judy Lewis who is the love child of Clark and Loretta Young and she has written a book about it. Judy was an actress on the soaps for many years.

Met John Clark Gable. He is NOT as handsome as his Father, he favors his Mother. Clark died before John was born.

Fred Crane, Cammie King, Judy Lewis are now deceased. I must say all of these people were very nice and approachable. My daughter is also a big fan and she has autographs of Margaret Mitchell, Ann Rutherford and Hattie McDaniel as well

aaahhh.....Frankly My Dear........
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Wow, thank you, Wildwest, for the fascinating run down of the people you have met from the Gone With The Wind movie, etc.
I agree. John Clark Gable is handsome, for sure, but he is not anywhere near as handsome as his father:

John-Clark-Gable.jpg
John-Clark-Gable.jpg (49.8 KiB) Viewed 95 times

c45958849fa9596eb5f01b2921d50b67--old-hollywood-classic-hollywood.jpg
c45958849fa9596eb5f01b2921d50b67--old-hollywood-classic-hollywood.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 95 times

I have always thought that they could not have picked a better actor to play Rhett Butler, than Clark Gable.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 am

Lucas and Scarlett are contemporaries. Vivien Leigh is one of my fantasy Margarets!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:02 am

According to the gilded age by Alan Axelrod, john wanamaker founded wanamaker's, a men's store in Philadelphia in 1876. It was one of the first stores to offer satisfaction-or-your-money-back guarantees, attach price tags to items, have training programs and classes, demanded supervisors treat employees with respect, and offer free medical care, and pension plans. Wanamaker's also was the first department store to be electrically lit (1878) and install telephones (1879).

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Great info on department stores. Did you watch the PBS series Selfridges about the store in London? It was a great series. I thought Jeremy Piven was handsome as Harry Selfridge.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 pm

I have not. I know I should broaden my horizons and check out some other series...but the siren call of the swaggering jeans !

Return to “The Rifleman Trivia & Games Section - 2015 to present”