Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Do you think you know all there is to know about The Rifleman? Well let's just see how much we all know about this show & it's characters.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Post by cowgirl » Sat May 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Random rambler:54881 wrote:I don't know if this is a coincidence or not,  around the time Lucas and Mark were settling in North Fork, the gunfight at the o.k. corral occurred. What other real historic happenings occurred then?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Random rambler:54972 wrote:I just finished a taste for monsters by Matthew Kirby.   It is about the elephant man and jack the ripper.  By rifleman coincidence,  the elephant man's real name was Joseph merrick.
Western Gal

:cowgirl2:

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:35 pm

Renewed Fan:54977 wrote:In New Mexico, during the time frame of the Rifleman, the Lincoln County Cattle War was fault, which involved Billy the Kid. It would have been neat for Billy to show up in North Fork in one episode, but it never happened.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 pm

wildwest:54986 wrote:yes if other real cowboys had been in some episodes it would have been interesting but then again Lucas would have had to either show them up, defend them or just befriend them

These could have been there as well as Billy the Kid:

Bat Masterson  died  1921
Doc Holliday  died 1887
Cole Younger  died  1916
Jesse James  died  1882
Wyatt Earp  died  1929

Or I can see it now.....a  Sharpshooting contest  with the winner taking home some of Millies pies

or  a horse race with Mark riding Blue Boy against them....again the winner takes home Millies pies

or just one of them stopping by the ranch to renew their friendship with Lucas.  Maybe some of them knew Lucas from when he lived in the Nations.
after all cowboys was a brotherhood.  I am sure they knew of Lucas's reputation with the rifle!

"I didn't ask for this (reputation) but it came"    The Marshall

this episode would have probably driven Micah nuts.  It could have been season 5.

"Son,  you just had breakfast with a Texas gunfighter"   The Safe Guard
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Random rambler:54990 wrote:The typewriter was invited in 1868. I bet that was the next item Mark put on lay-away at the general store
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:41 pm

wildwest:54994 wrote:good point.  Then Mark could have followed his dream about  being  a writer like Mark Twain or been editor of the North Fork Gazette.  Or he could have been a novelist and written  'dime novels'  like Lucas referred to one time.  

"but Pa,  I"m ten years old"   Home Ranch
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Random rambler:55008 wrote:He probably wrote some novels about the rifleman. President James Garfield was assassinated about the time Lucas Mark arrived in North Fork.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:43 pm

markisddg:55015 wrote:Shortly after Lucas and Mark built their home around 1885 Annie Oakley joined Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show and traveled the whole country and became famous. In 1887 they went to England and performed for Queen Victoria.

I wonder if Mark and Lucas saw one of her shows after all they were supposed to visit the country fair in Little Butte in The Debt but never made it.
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:44 pm

wildwest:55016 wrote:Yes    Annie Oakley would be another good historical choice.  Annie was born  1860  and joined the Buffalo Bill Wild West show in 1885.  She met and married another performer...Frank Butler.  When they were performing she actually was a better shot than Frank.  He loved her anyway! I have been to her birthplace and cemetery where she and Frank are buried in Greenville Ohio
I have also been to where Buffalo Bill is buried in Colorado and the museum there.

I think the writers did try to interject some historical people in the scripts so kudos to them for that.  In  Grasshopper  the old man Mr Cameron referred to Billy the Kid and Davy Crockett to Mark

In Brother in Law Uncle Johnnie was a member of a Wild West and Rodeo show, however I think the name of the show was made up.

Also there was The Shattered Idol when Mark Twain visited town.

The Sheridan story was another

Honest Abe was a nod to Abe Lincoln.

And there were references to different Indian tribes of the time.

When I was reading about Wild West Shows I read that some of the performers were Will Rogers and Tom Mix who also went on to be in the movies.  Very interesting.  I read that the first western movie was made in 1903....The Great Train Robbery..  I can just imagine the action and photography on that film 100 years ago  wow

"Son, you just had breakfast with a Texas gunfighter"  (The Safe Guard)
Western Gal

Western Gal
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Western Gal » Tue May 09, 2017 1:45 pm

markisddg:55017 wrote:Rambler mentioned the Elephant Man who was quite a sensation during Victoria's reign. The 1982 movie was such an emotional roller coaster for me. I saw grown men wiping their eyes coming out of that movie. That such a man existed and how he was treated was very important to history. Wonder how Mark would have perceived him? Maybe like how he perceived Frank Blandon.
Western Gal

Return to “The Rifleman Trivia & Games Section - 2015 to present”