Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Do you think you know all there is to know about The Rifleman? Well let's just see how much we all know about this show & it's characters.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Real happenings during the time of the rifleman

Post by wildwest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:55 am

you are SO right Cowgirl!!

:clap: :bouncingblobs:
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:06 am

Cowgirl.....the other episode we see a stereopticon is in Day of the Hunter when Mark is having the talk with Lucas about Cass.....when Mark says.....are all those things he says true? it is on a table in front of the window in the background. I notice these only because I have 3 of them
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Future cowboy star Tom mix was born on 1/6/1880 in Pennsylvania.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 am

1880 was the year of the first electric streetlight. It was in Wabash, Indiana.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:40 am

wildwest wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:06 am
Cowgirl.....the other episode we see a stereopticon is in Day of the Hunter when Mark is having the talk with Lucas about Cass.....when Mark says.....are all those things he says true? it is on a table in front of the window in the background. I notice these only because I have 3 of them
Tell me about your viewmaster. That's what they were called when I was a kid.

What slides/plates do you have to view. Do you know the time frame of your viewers?

This is basically the same as a Magic Lantern Show, right?

In The Coward, George said he worked for a Magic Lantern Show on his way west. They also had this in Hell on Wheels.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:16 pm

this is similar to my stereoscope...they are called stereopticons and other names. era 1910. they use cards
3 1/2 x 7 and the glass makes the viewing somewhat like 3D as you slide the card forward and backward.
the images were very poor photography usually. one of mine was my Dads and I bought the other two. and similar to a magic lantern show, yes

I also had a viewmaster....loved it

myself and my kids all like vintage items so I have two working Victrolas (1930's) and the 3 stereoscopes with hundreds of cards which will be theirs someday. its hard to find Victrolas in working condition anymore. both of mine are restored and work fine. so then I also collect the old 78 RPM records. I have some from my childhood which includes many Gene Autry Christmas records.

did you know Gene was the only entertainer to have 5 stars on The Walk of Fame. last time I was in LA we went down Hollywood Blvd and also visited Gene Autry museum. My husband was a Gene Autry fan and I was a Roy Roger fan.

Viewed as the kindly gentleman in the white hat, Autry was the only entertainer to have five stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame — one each for films (more than 90 of them), recordings (635), television (91 episodes of "The Gene Autry Show") and radio (16 seasons of "Melody Ranch"), and one for live performance.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:17 pm

I have The Gene Autry Christmas album, but on CD. I love it. I remember this as a kid.

I too was a big fan of Gene & Roy back in their day. I use to get up every Saturday around 6:00 am just to watch them back to back, then The Cisco Kid, Fury and Sky King.

I didn't know Gene had 5 stars on the Walk of Fame. Thanks for the mention.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Watching the rifleman on my phone reminds me of the viewmaster. In 1878, when Rutherford b. Hayes was president, telephones were installed in the white house.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:33 pm

wow.....we all grew up with a viewmaster......I had some Roy Rogers disks....wish I still had those......thanks for the 'telephone' info, you are a great history buff

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:00 am

Thank you wildwest! I enjoy your historical informationas well-especially learning about gene autrey and the stereopticon.

I am currently reading the Leavenworth case by Anna Katherine green. It is a mystery written in 1878-nine years before the debut of Sherlock Holmes. Her detective is Ebenezer gryce, the first American series detective. Anna Katherine green, born in1846, is considered the mother of the detective novel.

Return to “The Rifleman Trivia & Games Section - 2015 to present”