Singing Cowboy Westerns--your thoughts?

2014 and prior postings from the TV Western forum.
ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: Singing Cowboy Westerns--your thoughts?

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:40 am

PJH:2893 wrote:Kira, that's a great cowboy song---one of my favorites.  Randy Travis did a great job.  I only wish Roy Rogers had sung part of it.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:42 am

rooster davis:3263 wrote:I think genuine, authentic cowboy singing - like you'd have heard around a campfire, or by one out on night watch singing for the cattle (they did that!) would be some fascinating stuff. Think of the countless hours of authentic cowboy songs sung and vanished to the ages, 120 or 150 years ago...

I'm not really a fan of country music (though I'll take it 100 to 1 over rap or most current 'pop' music) but speaking of Randy Travis, I saw him in a neat Western recently called The Deadly Shooter. (E Westerns listed it as 'The Desert Shooter'.) He played the role of a pretty evil sheriff and was able to put across that 'evil' pretty darned well. It's a movie I'll watch again sometime, and I saved it to a DVD.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:43 am

PJH:3266 wrote:I agree with you Rooster.  Authentic cowboy songs have nothing in common with country and western music.  And you're right about this wonderful genre of music being mostly lost to us today.

I saw an clip of the Randy Travis movie you mentioned.  I'll have to watch it next it's on.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 am

rooster davis:3523 wrote:So much great, genuine, real stuff has been lost to us forever, but we'll never get rid of Madonna or Snoop Dogg. There is no justice anymore!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:48 am

Crazy Quilt Cass:4357 wrote:Hey Gang... This is a wonderful topic... thanks for being this up.  I haven't been here for a while but it is great to come back to find this.

Gene Autry and Roy Rogers... What more could you ask for???  I loved them both...

Roy and Gabby...
Gene and Pat Buttram /Smiley Burnette

Really good stuff... I would invite you all to look them up and watch their films.  Singing Cowboys are alive on the silverscreen... are you watching???

Crazy Quilt Cass
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am

cowgirl:4387 wrote:Cass, great to have you back!  I sure have missed ya'!

Yes this is a great topic!  I love these shows.  I know some people don't agree with me, but they paved the way for all the westerns.

Love the songs too and the Sons of the Pioneers!

Glad to have you back!
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 am

PJH:4391 wrote:Cass,

So glad that you like Singing Cowboys too!  Not too many of us out there.

My mom loved Roy and Gene and many of the others of the era.  I have mentioned in other posts that my mom was a cowgirl (at least during her summers spent in Montana) and sang cowboy songs on the radio in the late 1930s and early 40s. We sang all of those old songs growing up and watched all of the singin' cowboy movies. So I was practically born a fan.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:53 am

rooster davis:4668 wrote:Hi Cass, good to see you back...

Well I think Autry and Rogers were some of the finest gentleman who ever lived, but usually I can't get into their movies and I'll tell you why. If they're going to bust out singing at some point the movie usually can't be all that serious. Maybe one song could be worked in- I've seen many movies which did that - but the singing Westerns are really more "musical Westerns".

In "Tension at Table Rock", "Gunsight Ridge", and numerous other Westerns, they did fit a song in but it might have been part of the story. It wasn't the main character singing it.

So much as I love Westerns in general, and much as I respect Roy and Gene, it just doesn't grab my attention to watch those movies. To each his or her own, and I'm certainly glad some people enjoy them. I won't dispute for a moment that they are quality entertainment.
Judy (Ruskin)

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 am

Lu Young:5080 wrote::lol:  :lol:

If i'm not mistaken Ken Curtis/Festus sang with the original Sons of the Pioneers as did Roy Rogers.  I didnt' know he was married to John Ford's daughter.  I said this before when I was a kid watching him on Sat. nights I thought he was an old man.  Gosh now he looks mighty young...ooops could be I am older??????? NAW

I know those old westerns were corny but I loved them anyway.  Gene Autry had a wonderful voice maybe wasn't so good in the saddle.  
Still they were great role models!
LU :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Judy (Ruskin)

Return to “TV Westerns Archives”