A Bad Day at School

We all know how much Mark loved school! Alright so I exaggerated just a little bit. We never did hear him say he wanted to grow up to be a teacher. Let's talk about Mark’s school days, school issues, homework, teachers, etc.
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

A Bad Day at School

Post by Deneen » Sun May 21, 2017 4:15 am

Michelle P.:2743 wrote:Mark really had a bad day at school!  

First of all, he can't recite his lessons because he fell asleep.  He had afternnon chores to do, then had to do all his homework besides.  His father had sat with him to tell him a practical reason for learning what Mr. Griswald was teacing (thus backing him up) and he falls asleep.  Mr. Griswald does't wait for an explanation, but automatically accuses his father of not caring enough about school.  So, Mark gets angry and walks out (I really can't blame him).  We all know that Lucas cares for Mark's education.  In fact, there is even indication that Mark has to do his studies even when he's not in school!

Then when Mark comes home, he tries to explain to his father what happened.  His father makes Mark go right back to school.  Admittingly, Mark says some things he shouldn't have, and Lucas was teaching Mark a principle, which Mark probably understood later.  But still...

So, Mark then goes back to school.  His friend, Billy, puts candy in the teacher's book and slams it shut, then sits down.  Mark covers for him and takes the whipping (which by the way could be considered a blooper if you watch how the whipping is carried out).  Because he's being a good friend, he takes the punishment even though he's totally innocent!

Then he's sent home with a note (we can assume)  Apparently, his father reads the note and sends Mark to his room.  Since the lanterns are on, we can assume it was later in the evening when Lucas came in to talk to Mark.  Their talk doesn't go well, and Mark is left in his room to finish out what appears to be a punishment of staying in his room for the rest of the evening...to think about what he did.  Again, I know Lucas is giving Mark a hard lesson:  that even when we don't do something wrong per se, if we choose to take the blame, we must take the punishment as if we did the crime, so Lucas's punishment stood...

No wonder Mark played hooky the next day!  He figured he'd get in a lot less trouble playing hooky then going to school and being blamed for things he didn't do!

POOR MARK!!!
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: A Bad Day at School

Post by Deneen » Sun May 21, 2017 4:16 am

Random rambler:54015 wrote:I loved Michelle's story in mark's memories. I wonder if Mark went to Micah for comfort first. Regarding Mark's wrinkled shirt: did Lucas try to look at the spot where Mark had been struck? Lucas is sitting on Mark's bed, but is one of their few scenes together where Lucas does not his arm around Mark or his hand on Mark's back, head, or shoulder. Did Lucas try to get Mark's side and get mark to open up,  but Mark was not ready to talk yet, then start to get upset?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: A Bad Day at School

Post by Deneen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm

"Face Of Yesterday" ~ Lucas told Hank Clay:
“I’ll do a lot to keep the peace, mister! I’ll eat crow raw if I have to. But I’ll do it – me - not my boy! I don’t let anybody hit him, not even me!”

This is the reason I was so surprised :msn-oh: that Lucas wasn't upset about Mr. Griswald whipping Mark.

Well - I was very upset! :rant: :cursing: :angry9:

~Deneen~

Return to “North Fork School”