What flower is used for The Day of the Dead?

We all know how much Mark loved school! Alright so I exaggerated just a little bit. We never did hear him say he wanted to grow up to be a teacher. Let's talk about Mark’s school days, school issues, homework, teachers, etc.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

What flower is used for The Day of the Dead?

Post by cowgirl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:41 am

I found this interesting and I thought I'd check it out.....

I was watching a show last night and this guy was dying and he requested the flower used for The Day of The Dead which was the marigold.

It may be surprising that the exuberant marigold is the traditional flower for Day of the Dead, Dia de los Muertos, the Latin American holiday celebrated today and Wednesday.

Why is the marigold used for the Day of the Dead?
Marigolds guide the spirits to their altars using their vibrant colors and scent. Marigolds, or flowers in general, also represent the fragility of life. ... The marigold most commonly used in Dia de los Muertos celebrations is the Targetes erecta or African Marigold, otherwise known as cempasúchil or flower of the dead.

They also used this term in the animated movie Coco.
This is not the first animated musical Day of the Dead movie; Jorge Gutierrez's The Book of Life came out in 2014. As in that film, Coco is filled with Mexican cultural references and folklore, from its opening titles crafted as papel picado, to cartoon caricatures of artist Frida Kahlo and Mexican wrestler Santo. A bridge of marigold petals leads to the land of the dead, a floating metropolis layered atop ancient Mesoamerican pyramids, and colorful alebrijes -- mythical spirit creatures — fly all around.

What say you?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: What flower is used for The Day of the Dead?

Post by wildwest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:08 pm

this is great info. wonder if some of this background info was why they used it on the show. Marigolds are also a very hardy plant, I have planted them many times in my flowerbeds. and they 'seed' themselves and can also come up the next year.

thanks for the research. at least Margaret and Lucas loved Marigolds
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to “North Fork School”