Discipline

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Discipline

Post by Dana » Sun May 06, 2018 4:07 pm

There were a few times when I thought Lucas was going to slap Mark: when Mark was nasty to colley in the hero and when Mark told Lucas hazel was nice to him-implying Lucas has not been very nice!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun May 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Slap Mark? :lol:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:07 am

I actually think Lucas was more upset about Mark saying pa took a belt to his britches than anything else. Until the two were having a quarrel, Mark never wanted Lucas to be angry at him! Mark did try to get pa's host though!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:49 am

Lucas's greatest leverage over mark was that Mark really could not bear for pa to be disappointed in him. Most of us rebelled against our parents to a certain extent. When Mark did something he shouldn't the lessons he learned were often pretty dire. Mark wandered over to hazel's wagon, then drank tainted water-he came down with typhoid. Mark knows better than to mess with pa's rifle-he showed off and Charlie died. In the woman of hog ridge, Mark berates Mrs Boyle for the way she treats her son. Mark is incredulous and adamant that a mother knows when her child lies. Did Mark get caught in a big whopper by Margaret shortly before she became fatally ill?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:05 pm

Dana wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:49 am
Mark is incredulous and adamant that a mother knows when her child lies. Did Mark get caught in a big whopper by Margaret shortly before she became fatally ill?
That wouldn't surprise me at all. It sounds like Mark is speaking from experience. :)

~Deneen~

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:01 am

I have been watching the show on you tube and reading the comments there. Many of the posters have opined that Lucas is not the least bit strict with Mark and lets Mark get away with a lot of stuff-rather the opposite view of many here. Was Mark the first tv kid who sometimes disobeyed his father and talk back?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:25 pm

That's an interesting question - Dana.

Mark is the only TV kid I can vividly remember when I was a kid. I vaguely remember Rusty from "Rin Tin Tin". His parents were killed and he was adopted.

I can't remember if Joey from "Fury" had parents. :dontknow:
I do remember Peter Graves being in that series.

I guess Mark stood out from the others for me.

Maybe someone else has a better memory than I do. :-|

~Deneen~

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Dana wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:01 am
I have been watching the show on you tube and reading the comments there.
Before I bought The Rifleman series on DVD - I use to watch some of episodes on YouTube. I also read some of the comments.

I've always felt that everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions.
Right Or Wrong - I don't judge.
But .... One poster on the YouTube comments ticked me off.
She/He said Chuck had eyes like a lizard and Chuck was not attractive at all.
What? :o Huh? :rant: Those are fighting words to me! :angry4: :cursing: ( :laughing: )

~Deneen~

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:19 pm

OMG Deneen.......fighting words for sure. lets find out what their system is and cause it to crash. you don't disrespect 'card carrying Rifleman fanatics' like that!! was it written by a jealous man?

Opie disagreed with Andy but I'm not sure he back talked him.

I don't remember the boys on My Three Sons talking back or the sons on Leave it to Beaver.

Mark in The Deadeye Kid sassed back....... “You said it once yourself, pa. There’s nothing better than a friend! Once you’re a man’s friend, stick by him! No matter what, stick by him! Well, Don’s my friend just like that pa.” “So I can’t tell ya'.”

in Schoolmaster Mark sassed back about not going back to school

In The Photographer Mark told Lucas he would have to testify against his words.

In Waste Mark would not leave when Lucas ordered him to leave.

I think they gave Mark a little 'sass' so there would be a lesson Lucas could teach him.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to “The Rifleman”