Gun*Smoke

We all love Westerns, but there are lots of good non-western television shows as well! Come on in and share your memories with us!
Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Gun*Smoke

Post by Deneen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:45 pm

The "Town Drunk" thread was beginning to turn into a conversation about GunSmoke. So I thought I'd start a new topic about GunSmoke since a few other people are also interested. :)

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Gun*Smoke

Post by Deneen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:15 pm

wildwest wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:19 pm
Deneen....I saw a Gunsmoke yesterday and another guy was in love with Kitty. She went to the jail to talk to Matt. said..."when I first met u I was young and in no hurry and I know what that badge and this job means to you but ..... I thought that someday.....and she wanted some answers from Matt.

all he could say was.....Kitty you know how I feel,,,,you'll have to make your own decision. she did leave the other guy and all she and Matt could do then was go to the Long Branch for a drink. I wanted him to KISS her like Lucas did with Millie and say "you figure it out". I know the writers did not want Matt married but they should have at least gotten them together when they wrapped the series!!!

don't know the episode name or the name of the other actor. a lot of episodes my heart breaks for Kitty!

Yes - I saw that episode too. Poor Miss Kitty! Matt Dillon made me sick! :lol:

Matt knew how much Kitty loved him but he was more in love with his darn job.
Yes - During the years Kitty thought she could change Matt's mind.

Matt wouldn't give up his badge for Kitty but in a few episodes he was willing to resign as Marshal for a friend. Huh - What the heck? :glare:

And another thing - Did Matt ever pay for a drink? :lol:

~Deneen~

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Festus and April made a cute couple - But Festus didn't wanna get married either. :lol:

~Deneen~

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm

seems like Matt did accept a lotta free drinks from Kitty. even if he would not have given up his job I think Kitty would still have married him. after all she worried about him and nursed him when he was shot up. the writers could have explored the relationship more. there was an episode where she actually left town and was going to sell the Long Branch and she went to another town because Matt could not make up is mind.

they could have at least romped in the 'hay' like Lucas and Lou did.

you're right....we went from town drunk.....to unfulfilled loves
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Yes - I saw the episode when Kitty left town after she knew Matt was gonna live after being shot. Matt went after her. Was that to show Kitty he cared?
Doc Adams seemed to think so. Kitty must have thought so too - she went back to Dodge City.

When - Matt was hurt or shot - Doc Adams and Festus treated Kitty like she was the wife. Always there to comfort her. :)

Did you see the episode when Sam tells Kitty she might get molested if she went out alone at night? Kitty's reaction was hilarious! :lol:

In another episode Matt explained love/marriage as being with someone the rest of your life. OK - Fine
Sooo - If Matt married Kitty and got killed the next day - that would be the rest of his life. :lol:

I agree that Kitty would have married Matt even if he didn't give up his badge but I don't think Kitty would have asked Matt to do that.
She knew the dangers of Matt's job.
Kitty still went through the emotions of a wife when Matt was shot or hurt.

Kitty was sometimes dis-respected because she was a "saloon girl". Could that be a reason Matt didn't want to marry her? Hmmm :dontknow:

~Deneen

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Did you see the episode when Sam tells Kitty she might get molested if she went out alone at night? Kitty's reaction was hilarious! :lol:

Kitty was sometimes dis-respected because she was a "saloon girl". Could that be a reason Matt didn't want to marry her? Hmmm

Deneen.....
don't think i saw the episode Sam talks to Kitty about getting molested. I am kinda on a Gunsmoke binge with the reruns. did't watch the show when it aired new a lot. I think Matt would have married Kitty even tho she was a saloon girl. shucks....all the men loved her and wanted her
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I didn't watch GunSmoke when it originally aired either.
But my Dad sure did. I do remember hearing the theme music for "GunSmoke" - "Bonanza" - "Wagon Train" - "Big Valley" - etc. as a kid.
I did watch The Rifleman because I wanted to see Mark. :)

"GunSmoke" is on TVLAND and MeTV at the same time. Sometimes I have to switch the channel back and forth depending on which episode is on. :lol:

I'm having fun discussing GunSmoke! :grinning-cowboy:

Of course The Rifleman will always be #1 for me. :happycowboy:

~Deneen~

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:25 am

Does anyone know why Matt Dillon didn't have a room?
I'm sure Ma Smalley would have given him a reduced rate. :)

Matt didn't make a lotta money. Sooo - Did Matt spend most of his money at Delmonico's? He got free drinks from Kitty and he didn't have any rent to pay.

As a U.S. Marshal - Matt probably had an expense account because he traveled a lot. Hmmm :thinking:

Geezzz - I'm really getting into GunSmoke! :lol:

~Deneen~

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am

Gunsmoke is an excellent series, I honestly can't tell ya' how much I have watched these episodes over & over again.

In the episode A Quiet Day in Dodge Matt does try and get some sleep at the jail. Later he has dinner with Kitty. While Kitty goes to tends to business Matt fall asleep in her room.

I bet there was talk around town that night.

Does he sneak back to Kitty's room at the end of the day?

He does sleep a lot out on the trail?
Deneen: "GunSmoke" is on TVLAND and MeTV at the same time. Sometimes I have to switch the channel back and forth depending on which episode is on. :lol:
This is also aired in INSP. It is hard trying to juggle thes episode. Believe me I know. I too feel the same as you.

BTW where does Festus and Chester live? I did see an episode of festus living outside of town.

I met Buck Taylor several times. What a great guy! He never charged for any of his signatures at the festivals.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Buck Taylor sounds like a 'class act'! good point....where did they iive. I saw an episode this week where Festus gives his donkey to some Indians and he called the donkey by name but I forget what it was. was it Ruth or Ruby? anybody know. do we know of any other cowboys who wore spurs all the time like Festus?

Return to “TV Non-Westerns”