The Rifleman as a whole

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

The Rifleman as a whole

Post by Morgan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:44 am

Every plot, every line, every word has a purpose behind it. Something that drives it to be created, and a force that demands a story to be told. Almost every episode of "The Rifleman" had a good moral lesson in it, but what do you think was at the center of the creation of "The Rifleman" as a whole? What driving force do you find at the center of Mark and Lucas's story? What message do you feel the writers were trying to give the world in the creation of this classic television show?
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: The Rifleman as a whole

Post by wildwest » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:26 pm

that a very good question and very deep. I wonder what was in Sam Peckinpah's mind when he created it. did the show mirror his own life or was it a life he wished he could have had? since there had not been a series to mirror this one from.

and what was their criteria when they selected the scripts offered up by the writers. there seemed to be a central theme of love, justice, patience, second chances, morality

the love between Lucas and Mark was unprecidented for 1950's TV and even westerns. for a strong man to show such tenderness. I am anxious to see what the others think. thanks Morgan!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Very Very well said - Ladies! :)

Sam Peckinpah - Arnold Laven - Arthur Gardner - Jules Levy - The Actors -
The Writers & The Directors more than accomplished the premise of The Rifleman.
And that's why we're still talking about and watching The Rifleman 60 years later. :foxes_353:

There's no more I can add to what has already been said!

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:40 am

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the rifleman was the first show to combine genres. Sure, it was categorized as a western drama. However, there was also comedy (the sister and the pitchman), Mystery ( the photographer and smokescreen) censor-baiting( the pasty and miss Bertie). Lucas was a good guy, but he was flawed (self-righteous and judgmental in my opinion). This show had something for everyone-kind of like life in general.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:51 pm

good points all....I just luv the show!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:39 am

I also love the use of irony on the show. Was all of it intentional? There was Mark and his buddies teasing manolo shortly after Lucas telling Jeremy Ashford all are welcome in America. Mark tried to get out of going to school while johnny clover desperately wanted to go. Wonderful father Lucas was sympathetic to Eddie and Matt Simmons, both of whom virtually abandoned their children, but Lucas had no empathy for Lil or Phillip. Jennifer and Charles fated by birth to go back to their royal destiny-the two had done nothing wrong,but had no choices or chances in the town of new beginnings. Lucas forgot he had a son in a show with a theme of parent-child relationships. The son of the rifleman came to (temporarily at least) hate the gun. Or am I just a geek who reads too much into things?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Dana this is all very deep and great insight. If you are a 'geek' then sign me up as a 'geek' as well. enough cannot be said about this show. I guess thats why cable channels keep rerunning the episodes when other shows like Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel , The Rebel and other westerns .....while I enjoyed them.....have dropped off.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:50 pm

We've watched the same episodes of The Rifleman so many times - it's hard not to analyze and interpret the episodes differently (now).

Why did ..... ? What if .....? We have so many un-answered questions.
It's fun to discuss these things. Be all the "geek" you wanna be - Dana.
I guess we're all Rifleman Geeks - which is a good thing! :lol:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Howard
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Howard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:37 pm

wildwest wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:26 pm
there seemed to be a central theme of love, justice, patience, second chances, morality
But that was not completely unusual for that time period,
as society, as a whole, was more like that than today.
Often times our entertainment is reflective of the society of the time.

Leave it to Beaver
Make room for Daddy
Father knows Best
Donna Reed
Real McCoys
My three Sons
Brady Bunch

Compare to a lot of today's trash...
Look at the way people treat each other on so many shows.
And thus, in real life.
The language, the violence, anger, hatred.
Pretty sad.

Dan
The early bird may catch the worm..
but the second mouse gets the cheese..

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:17 am

There was a decorum and courtesy on these shows, sadly lacking today. The rifleman was a trailblazer in many ways. It was the first show with a single parent and the first show to address prejudice. Sammy Davis, Jr played the first "color blind" character on television. There were a few other firsts-I think. Eddie was the first divorced character, who was not a swinger or hot to trot. In incident at the line shack, equal pay for equal work was addressed. In flowers by the door, sexual assault was the motive for the murders. The assault brought up falsely accusing someone of sexual assault.

Return to “The Rifleman”