Biggest letdown?

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Biggest letdown?

Post by Morgan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:27 pm

I was watching “The Spiked Rifle” the other day... and boy-howdy, those writers missed a great scene!

Lucas is riding shotgun to protect 20K when he’s told Mark is being held hostage at the ranch. After the outlaw gets the money, Lucas high tails it back to the ranch to find Mark asleep.

Granted- Chuck did an amazing job when he sees Mark lying face down on the hay... almost makes you cry! But I somewhat wish the outlaws would’ve at least tied Mark up or something... I wish they would’ve made a bigger father-son reunion. Johnny and Chuck could’ve done it justice even in a short amount of time if the writers were worried about the clock. Anyway... that was probably one of my biggest disappointments in a scene. What was yours? What was your favorite scene? Mine has to be when Lucas carries Mark back to the house in “Bloodlines”. 😭😭
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Biggest letdown?

Post by wildwest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:15 pm

good point Morgan, that would have been a deeper tear jerker as no one better mess with Mark!!

can't think of a disappointment right now. I do wish the writers gave us some scenes where Lucas was teaching Mark to shoot. we know Mark had the 22 rifle but we should have seen Lucas teaching Mark. by the series end, Mark was well old enough.

some of my favorite scenes......in Ordeal when Lucas unselfishly gave Mark all the water and food and wrote the note thinking he would never see him again. even the look in Lucas eyes when Mark started off. big box of tissues!!

In Vision when Lucas says....don''t die son, please don't die. He had lost Margaret and now was faced with losing Mark. and in the end when Lucas hugs Mark like he will never let him go. Johnny said Vision was his favorite episode.

when Mark is on the porch in Wyoming story talking about the ranch and crying and then he senses Lucas coming. wow Chuck and Johnny didn't just act, they were those characters and they FELT those lines in every episode. such talent and trust between them

gosh I could go on and on. watching RIfleman I have the remote and kleenex!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 am

The biggest let-downs for me are when the writers don't let Mark shoot a gun.

In the first episode ("SharpShooter") Mark said he could shoot Lucas' rifle which leads me to think that Lucas had taught Mark how to shoot.

In another episode - Lucas agreed to let Mark have a rifle if Mark didn't take it off the ranch.

"Skull" - Lucas and Mark were on a hunting trip. Mark didn't have a rifle. Huh?
Mark was at least 14 years old.

"And the Devil Makes Five" - Micah asked Mark if his aim was good - Mark said yes.
Mark had Lucas' rifle but the outlaw was able to take the rifle away from Mark. Geezzz!

"The Promoter" - Lucas won a rifle for Mark in the turkey shoot. So why did Lucas buy Mark another rifle two years later?
Did the writers forget Mark already had a rifle? :neutralcowboy:

"Mark's Rifle" - Micah thought Mark was old enough to have a gun/rifle.
It made no sense to me why Marty Blair was giving Mark shooting lessons.
"I've got a lot to learn.....it's not as easy as it looks," said Mark. "Pa.....I'm not so good.....I keep on missing those bottles."
Huh - What the Heck?! :confusedcowboy:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Morgan and Deneen....you both nailed it for me!! major disappointment was in Sidewinder when Mark would not use the gun when Grid threw it to him. not that Mark would not use it but what he said.

Mark picked it up. “I’m not allowed to use a hand gun.” NO teenage boy would say that to another boy especially since Lucas was not around to see it. it made Mark look like a wimp.

and I agree in Devil Makes Five we want to see Mark kill the snake but the bad dude pushes him and grabs the rifle. Gosh Mark you can do better than that. they could have had Mark at least kill the snake and the guy then try to run and then Micah shoot him. the writers missed this one and made Mark look like a wimp again.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:35 pm

"First Wages" - Only Micah could have said these things to Lucas:
'Well, a boy’s gotta grow into a man, you know. Well, could be you’re stepping on the breaks a little too hard now.

Well, I’ll tell you Lucas…maybe you’re trying just a little too hard to hold on to the boy! Maybe you’re thinking more about yourself then you are about Mark.”
Mark was 13 years old.
Lucas let every body else know that Mark was his responsibility.

Even at 15 years old - Lucas wanted Mark to have some more "growing up time".

Daniel Boone's son (Israel) was going on hunting trips (shooting) - dealing with Indians - protecting his Ma and every thing else by the time he was ten.
I guess times were different in the 1770s and 1780s.

Oh My - We do go on and on about The Rifleman. Just can't help it! :lol:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:26 pm

My biggest letdowns

1. The woman: if Garth Healy lied ( and I am not so sure he did) I wish Lucas and/ or Micah would have given him an avuncular lecture on the perils and consequences of telling tales out of school-no pun intended.

The assault: ditto for Vashti croxton. Micah and/or Lucas should have given her a stern talking-to regarding making false accusations and wasting valuable law enforcement time.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Re grid maul: when Mark said his father would not let him use a gun, I thought the cajoling Mark was trying to stall grid and talk his way out of the situation-since walking away was not an option.

As for Mark using the rifle more, I seem to be on the other side of the McCain fence. After mark accidentally killed Charlie, I would have liked to see Mark a lot more ambivalent and conflicted about the rifle. It would have made for some great dramatic tension.

Howard
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Howard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 am

Deneen wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:40 am
The biggest let-downs for me are when the writers don't let Mark shoot a gun.

"The Promoter" - Lucas won a rifle for Mark in the turkey shoot. So why did Lucas buy Mark another rifle two years later?
Did the writers forget Mark already had a rifle? :neutralcowboy:

~Deneen~
It was actually a shotgun that he won... so the .22, was actually his first rifle...

Dan
The early bird may catch the worm..
but the second mouse gets the cheese..

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 am

I would have to say Milly leaving North Fork and never coming back. :worriedcowboy:
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Howard
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Howard » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm

cowgirl wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 am
I would have to say Milly leaving North Fork and never coming back. :worriedcowboy:

Dan
The early bird may catch the worm..
but the second mouse gets the cheese..

Return to “The Rifleman”