Biggest letdown?

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Biggest letdown?

Post by Dana » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Judy, being easily led and talked into things was Mark's literally fatal flaw.

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 am

You are so right, Dana. The traits of being easily-led and talked into things were very endearing when Mark was a young boy :happycowboy: , but they were not at all endearing when he became a young man :sadcowboy: . However, those traits never took away our love for Mark or the show. :happycowboy:

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:01 am

Jenn wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:44 pm
I thought Skull was the last time they did a semi-hug, but I could be wrong. And, I think, A Friend in Need was the last full hug.
You probably are right Jenn. In Gun Shy when Mark runs away. I was surprised Lucas didn't lecture Mark or hug him, but he treated him like and adult.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:11 am

Actually, gun shy was a let-down for me:

1. Lucas had no empathy for Mark not wanting anything to do with the rifle. He seemed more concerned with mark not wanting to pick up the gun.

2. I know it was only a half-hour show, but I wanted to know if there was no talk in town about the son of head of the town counsel and the marshall's best friend is facing no legal consequences.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 am

Judy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 am
You are so right, Dana. The traits of being easily-led and talked into things were very endearing when Mark was a young boy :happycowboy: , but they were not at all endearing when he became a young man :sadcowboy: . However, those traits never took away our love for Mark or the show. :happycowboy:
I personally did not find it endearing, because was following the wolf pack making fun of both colley and manolo.

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 am

Dana wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 am
Judy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 am
I personally did not find it endearing, because was following the wolf pack making fun of both colley and manolo.
Sorry, Dana, I was making an overall statement of Mark's traits of being easily-led and talked into things. I didn't realize you were posting about a specific show. :sadcowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:18 am

No apology necessary-I was not very specific. Mark had no problem questioning pa, but he was tragically prone to peer pressure. Like Lucas in the gaucho, I guess I did not explain it very well.

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 am

Thank you for explaining where you were coming from, Dana. I appreciate it.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:11 pm

You are most welcome. My apologies for not being clear.

Going back to the Lorie-Mark-Lucas triangle: I am sure the gallant Lucas will be cordial, but...Lucas was jealous of uncle johnny, don Mahoney , Elliot the surveyor, tip cory, Mr. Bullock, and even Millie for taking Mark to dinner at the hotel every night and tending to Mark's bruises when he got in a fight. How will Lucas handle Mark getting mutually serious with a girl?

Judy
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Judy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:13 am

Apology accepted. :happycowboy:

I find it interesting that you see Lucas as being jealous of several people, and I see him as being a concerned parent.

Return to “The Rifleman”