The cost of a saddle these days

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

The cost of a saddle these days

Post by Dana » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:24 am

In the vision, Lucas tells Mark "we can't afford" a new saddle right now. However, in first wages, Mark is able to afford a saddle-albeit a slightly used one-after working part-time for a few days. Any ideas?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: The cost of a saddle these days

Post by wildwest » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Perhaps Lucas had not yet taken his cattle to market so 'cash was his shortfall' at the time and he spent what money he did have on food , supplies, Marks rock candy ha and the many bullets.

Mark worked and had no other expenses so he could put all his money on the saddle. I love Lucas face when Mark gives him the saddle. Chuck has such loving expressions that I imagine his boys and wives were the recipient of all the time. Chucks expressions whether it be happiness, sadness, anger is not acting. it is pure CHUCK
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 pm

"The Vision" - Lucas told Mark he had spent every cent they had to buy the bull they were going to pick up. Lucas was probably still in the process of building up his herd of cattle.

"First Wages" (two years after "The Vision") - Lucas was more established as a cattle man. Mark wanted money he earned besides his allowance.
Oh - But wait :thinking: Lucas was wiped out in the "Wyoming Story". (Hmmm) :neutralcowboy:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:24 am

Good thoughts and ideas! Mark probably got an enormous discount, too!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm sure Nils would give Mark a good discount and it was used.

Originally Mark wanted a new one which was probably a quite bit more. But I think Nils would have also cut Lucas a break. Maybe at this time money was tight, even tighter.

I think it would have been nice to see Lucas give Mark the saddle he wanted for his birthday. :holiday: :occasion1: :occasion18:

If you were Lucas what would you give Mark for his birthday?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:10 pm

I hope not the 14 volumes of books Jason Gowdy (Flowers by the Door) was selling. I think Mark had a limited tolerance for books,

(The Vision) “But Mark, there are books too, you know.” “Yes, ma’am,” Mark groaned. “We get them in the sixth grade.”

He already had a fine horse, a 22 rifle, a guitar and a fishing pole. Maybe a dog??? I read Chuck named several of his dogs after characters he played. One was Lucas and one was Jason.

did we ever see any mention of Marks birthday in an episode? I cant think of one. maybe a years supply of rock candy.

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:14 am

The devil makes five: didn't Micah say he had given Mark a knife for his 🎂?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm

yes I forgot about that one! when Mark used the knife in Skull to pry open the boarded window, he should have dropped it down to Lucas so he could get free.

instead Mark just left it or why didn't Mark take it with hm for his own protection......I think Mark then used the knife in Waste to scratch the paint off the window so he could see out

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Lucas would probably give Mark a new "man saddle" and all the rock candy - apple pie & ice cream he could eat for the entire day.
Forget about taking the day off from school. :sillycowboy:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Howard
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Howard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:46 pm

I wouldn't say that Mark only worked a few days for the saddle...
As in many shows, the amount of time is often left up to you to decide how much time goes by.
It can be days, or weeks.. there is no calendar or clock on the screen to help.
Sort of like when a man and a woman are shown in a scene, often at night, and then,
when the commercial is over... it's clearly another day..
It's up to you to decide what happened..

Dan
The early bird may catch the worm..
but the second mouse gets the cheese..

Return to “The Rifleman”