Double standards and feminism on the show

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Double standards and feminism on the show

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:16 am

The boarding house is one of my favorite episodes and I know the rifleman is a show from the late 1950's about the 1880's. However...it really bothers me: the boarding house seems to imply that being a female dealing a crooked card game (and probably moonlighting as a prostitute) is as bad as being a gunfighter and killing people. I also am bothered by Lucas seeming to think his friend who lost all his money gambling was blameless-not that cheating (especially where money is concerned) is okay.

Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: Double standards and feminism on the show

Post by Morgan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:16 am

In a round about way, I feel like it kinda shows more respect for women as a whole. I mean, as a woman, you wouldn’t spit or curse in public back then. It would mean bringing yourself down to a lower level. Women were held in higher esteem, therefore, something like running a crooked game was a much bigger deal for a lady than a man. Yeah, neither male or female should do it, but because of the position women held, it was looked down upon more. Like a king or queen not acting respectably. I think all too often people get the wrong idea when they go back and watch old television shows and movies. It wasn’t about trying to demean women... it was about maintaining their respectability. Now women just want to be treated like men, and now... there’s no mutual respect between the genders. We’re all created equal and can all do most of the same things. (Excluding childbirth/breastfeeding) But I think if one takes the time to look at the genders they would realize they’re obviously designed for different purposes. But different doesn’t mean unequal. It just means different and that’s not a bad thing.

Anyway... her doing this was viewed so badly because of how women were viewed back then. In general a woman had more respectability. Therefore it was just much less status quo. Yeah they maybe should’ve made a bigger deal about Lucas’s friend, but the point is they wanted to maintain the idea of women’s honor. Something that’s really been lost in the current culture. As a woman, I’d rather be held to a higher standard if it means men stop cussing and spitting in front of me, or telling crass jokes around me. I want to be respected, but that’s something I have to earn. I’m not going to be respected differently than a man if I don’t act differently than a man.
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

Return to “The Rifleman”