More like Lou or more like Millie?

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

More like Lou or more like Millie?

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:25 am

I personally wanted to see lucas stay single -unless he were to marry Julia or Beth. However, I know I am in the minority. Anyways, do you think Margaret was more like Millie or Lou and why?

Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Re: More like Lou or more like Millie?

Post by Morgan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:43 am

We don’t learn a whole lot about Margaret, but I got the feeling she was very sweet and gentle. Very tender, as well as easy going. To me, Milly is the most like Margaret. She was portrayed as a much calmer woman than Lou. And although Milly could get any job done and was very independent, she enjoyed hanging on Lucas’s arm at the end of the day, as I think Margaret would have. Lou was fiery and that made her so much different from Milly and Margaret.
In “the vision,” you can hear tears in Margaret’s voice. The same kind of tenderness/tears can be heard in “sheer terror” when Mark and Milly are held captive in the store.
Now that I think about it, I feel like the writers were trying to recreate someone very similar to what Margaret would have been like when they added Milly to the show. When they added Lou, I feel like they were going on the opposite direction. Someone to be the complete opposite of what Lucas had lost twice. Maybe that’s why he fell for her... but Lou and Lucas McCain... eh... excuse me while I lose my supper... 😂
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Great question Dana........I would have been OK if Lucas married but I think it was better he did not. the show was called the RifleMAN not the
RifleFAMILY MAN. and I think it would have confused scenes with Mark, Lucas showing such tenderness and care because he was a single parent, he had to give the love of two people. and it also gave them the ability for Lucas to keep Margaret alive by talking about her.

(In Waste.....Micah talking to Mark) Funny thing, I’ve always had a notion that nine out of ten people in North Fork who’ve never even saw a picture of your Ma could give an accurate description of her just from knowin’ your Pa.” I (Lucas) smiled about that. It made me happy to know I was keeping her memory alive.
if Lucas was married he probably would not have done that as much out of respect for his new wife.

If he did marry I would have liked Milly or Ann Dodd. the kiss Lucas gave Milly when he said...."you figure it out" melted me and the kisses between Ann and Lucas was electric. it did not hurt that Chuck wrote that episode so I think all that tenderness and love was pure Chuck coming out! I bet he was a hopeless romantic in real life.

case in point.....Chuck also wrote The Actress so those scenes with Beth were very tender too. I guess if Chuck wanted to 'kiss the girl' he had to write the script himself, although he did not kiss Beth......I wonder if Chuck was involved in picking the actresses for those two shows?

love me some 'wild wild Lucas'

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Jenn
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Post by Jenn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I think Millie was definitely more like Margaret. Even Mark said something about Lucas liking her the same way he liked Ma. I wanted Lucas to remain single as well, but my choices would have been either Millie or Ann. I could never stand Lou. She seemed to be forced on us with more episodes taking place at the hotel and Lucas spending more time in town then on the ranch.

Return to “The Rifleman”