Blooper’s Index

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Blooper’s Index

Post by Morgan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 am

So I was looking at the bloopers page and one topic was about Vernon having matches for Lucas to light his cigar with, even though Vernon didn’t smoke. The question was asked if all cowboys just carry matches around and I actually think the answer to that was yes. Back then you had to start fires ALL THE TIME; candle, lantern, camp fire, etc... so to me it would make sense. Thoughts...?
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Blooper’s Index

Post by wildwest » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 pm

good point Morgan. you got your 'thinkin' cap on'! they probably weren't going to rub two sticks together all the time! and they were readily available in that time period

The first modern, self-igniting match was invented in 1805 by Jean Chancel, assistant to Professor Louis Jacques Thénard of Paris. The head of the match consisted of a mixture of potassium chlorate, sulfur, sugar, and rubber.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Morgan wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 am
So I was looking at the bloopers page and one topic was about Vernon having matches for Lucas to light his cigar with, even though Vernon didn’t smoke. The question was asked if all cowboys just carry matches around and I actually think the answer to that was yes. Back then you had to start fires ALL THE TIME; candle, lantern, camp fire, etc... so to me it would make sense. Thoughts...?
Yes Morgan - I agree with that.

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Post by Morgan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 pm

wildwest wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 pm
good point Morgan. you got your 'thinkin' cap on'!
I honestly just remembered a big valley episode where Victoria grabbed matches from her pocket to light the lantern in the hotel room. 😂 I’m not that smart.
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm

"Home Ranch" - 10 year old Mark had matches to start a fire to set up camp when Lucas left to track down Oat Jackford's men.

"Smoke Screen" - Howey had matches in his shirt pocket to light the cigar he and Mark smoked.

CowBoys usually just reached in their pockets for matches. Or matches were usually near a lamp or fire place. Matches were certainly a necessity in those days.

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:53 pm

Morgan wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 pm
wildwest wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 pm
good point Morgan. you got your 'thinkin' cap on'!
I honestly just remembered a big valley episode where Victoria grabbed matches from her pocket to light the lantern in the hotel room. 😂 I’m not that smart.
Morgan: if I may a quote Mr. Bullock, you strike me as being very far from ignorant !-I just realized the pun.

Wild west -thank you for the history lesson.

Not just westerns, but in most Victorian stories in books or films or tv shows, matches are a necessity.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Three on a match: the superstition that it is unlucky to light three cigarettes with the same match is either from the Boer war or the great war. The soldiers could sometimes be spotted by the enemy if the match was lit for too long. However, it has been suggested that the superstition was perpetrated by match manufacturers.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Match girls: phossy jaw -the phosphorous used in making matches often caused cancer and deteriation of the jaw bones of the young workers (mostly young women) in the match factories. In 1888, the match girls of the Bryant and May match factory, went on strike to protest the firing of one of the coworkers. At the end of the strike, worker's hours were shortened, workers could take grievances to management instead of the foremen, and were given a lunchroom so the workers were not eating around the phosphorous.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:29 pm

I did not know all of this. such good research. It is scary there are so many factors for causing cancer.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:54 pm

It certainly is, wildwest. I watched smokescreen again the other night. Howie had matches. I don't recall ever seeing Mark with matches. Would it have been the norm for kids to have matches?

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”