Unintentionally funny episodes

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Unintentionally funny episodes

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm

The coward: I cracked up the first time I watched this episode, seeing Lucas run after George Collins. Having a 6'6" sodbuster with a rifle would frighten-and thrill-me to death!

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Unintentionally funny episodes

Post by Deneen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:00 am

Every time I see that fake bear in "Day Of The Hunter". :laughing:

And the obviously fake scenery in some of the episodes.

"Long Gun From Tucson" - To see Nils - Eddie and Henry standing beside Lucas in a gun fight.

"Two Ounces Of Tin" - Sammy Davis' dying scene - a bit of over acting. :laughing:
And the way Lucas turned Tip Corey over - like Tip weighed 50 pounds. :laughing:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't know if Which way did they Go was meant to be funny but it was funny and painful to watch. one bad episode which surprises me as it was written by Arthur Browne Jr . he wrote 28 episodes which included Miss Milly, Millies Brother, Lou Mallory, Stopover, Wyoming Story.

when I was researching Arthur Browne I ran across this which I did not know. He wrote And the Devil Makes five....
Trivia (1)
When asked about the final episode of The Rifleman, Browne said they came up with the plot of the snake in the bedroll because there was no money in the budget. The show was being canceled and they had one more show to do, so he wrote a plot in which Luke (Chuck Connors) and his son were out on the trail. They didn't have to hire any big name stars to appear in the episode and the scenery was cheap to put together.

some of the episodes were shown out of the order they were written.

Yep... the bear in Day of the Hunter was too funny. GRRRRRR. How 'bout the episode Mark shoots the window with his slingshot. there is a scene Johnny has this funny smirk on his face. wonder if that was scripted?

seeing Paul play Norman in Guilty Conscience

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Wow - Thanks for that information - WildWest.

I've always thought "Old Man Running" should have been the last episode to air.

It kinda ties up the loose ends about Margaret's death and how Lucas and Mark handled the situation differently about Margaret's father.
That episode ended with Lucas - Mark and Micah being together. The End! :happycowboy:

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:20 pm

I agree Deneen, that would have been a better end to the show.
Judy (Ruskin)

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:35 pm

I also agree Deneen and Judy. it would have been nice to end there. closing the past with forgiveness
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:07 am

The sister: earl battle blithely blabs about planning to kill Lucas on a public street where he can easily be overheard.

Seriously, most of the Outlaw's on the show must have flunked bad guy school. Keeping one's mouth shut about nefarious plans is lesson 101.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 pm

you're right Dana. the bad guys certainly flunked the class on tall Sodbuster carrying a long Winchester

Return to “The Rifleman”