Bloodlines (again)

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Bloodlines (again)

Post by Morgan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 am

The scene in bloodlines where Lucas carries Mark from the barn to the house is one of my all time favorite scenes! ...But as I was reading it on the site tonight I realized... Lucas didn’t even bother to see if Henry was still alive or not. In that lighting and especially that amount of time Lucas couldn’t have been able to tell if Henry was breathing or not. Worse yet... what if Henry actually was alive and Lucas could’ve saved him?
Still it was a beautifully done scene... I hate it when the realist inside of me wakes up... :ponderingcowboy:
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Bloodlines (again)

Post by Deneen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 am

Morgan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 am
I hate it when the realist inside of me wakes up... :ponderingcowboy:
I'm glad it does - you made a very good point.

A man on "The Big Valley" thought his wife was dead. Heath Barkley had to tell him his wife wasn't dead. :msn-oh:

On an episode of "GunSmoke" - Festus thought Matt was dead.
Festus couldn't hear a heart beat.

Gosh - I wish I could remember :thinking: what show I saw a man (thought to be dead) buried and he dug his way outta the grave. :o It might have been "GunSmoke". :dontknow:

Can you image how many people were buried while they were still alive back then.

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am

Great question, Morgan! I love the nitpickers and philosophical questions!

Would a doctor back then have been able to determine time of death or how much longer a person would have lived after being shot? I don't know. I heard or read somewhere that the the custom of the "wake" comes from the time when the fear of being buried alive was a very real fear, thus "making enough noise to raise the dead."

Morgan
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Post by Morgan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:34 am

I lot of people actually were buried alive. In the late 19tg centuries they started digging up old graves for medical research (I think that was the reason), and found claw marks inside the coffins. They then started implementing the grave yard shift and would tie a string around one’s wrist when they were buried. The string had a bell on the other end so if the person woke up they could ring it and the guard on duty could get help and start unburying the person. Could you imagine how horrible that would be!?
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 am

O~M~G !!!!!
:o :shutup: :outtahere:

~Deneen~

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:47 pm

I agree.....O M G !!!!

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

ruskin
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by ruskin » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Also I read someplace that that's how a "wake" came to be. They held a Wake in the person's home "just in case" they woke up.
Judy (Ruskin)

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Yes - As a child I went to a "Wake" which was held in the house of the deceased.
I remember the grown-ups saying how "natural" she looked and she had a smile on her face.

My uncle explained to me that once a body had been embalmed - that person is not going to wake up. Too much for a kid to understand.

~Deneen~

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Micah came across as rather petty and vindictive in this episode when he refused to shake pa Malachi's hand and when he put the salt in the bullets. Was Micah remembering back to a year earlier when he described Henry as a drunk, but a gentle soul and Lucas helped him?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:00 pm

I just thought Micah wanted to 'salt pellet' the Malachi's instead of killing them.

on the 'salt' note. if all that salt was there why did Lucas and Mark go 60 miles in the desert to get salt??

Oh I know....I know....so we could have one of the best episodes EVER!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Return to “The Rifleman”