Love and Kisses

I thought it would be neat to have a place to discuss "The Rifleman" episodes. If there is an episode you wish to discuss in length, please feel free to post it here.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Love and Kisses

Post by wildwest » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:53 pm

This little 30 minute show has been so awesome displaying a lot of what society lacks today. Kindness, respect, showing love, second chances, family values, accountability etc

I think it was groundbreaking for the time in showing love and tenderness between a Father and a son. Lets examine the episodes where Love was spoken and when Mark and Lucas exchanged hugs and kisses (not weird but love)

LOVE

In Second Witness Mark told Brad...."I love him very much"

In Case of Identity Mark told Lucas.....
But as I walked toward the door, he stopped me. “Pa?” I turned to look at him. “I love you,” he suddenly said.
That made me smile. He needed to say that, to let me know that he knew he was my son. I needed to hear it. While the fear of loosing my son was so powerful over me, I knew that my son loved me. I couldn’t hardly say anything, what with all the emotions in the room. “I know you do,” I answered.

In Old Tony..... Mark was talking to Lorrie about marriage and love......"Well...Pa and I was talkin' about it once. He was talking about my mother. I'll never forget a thing he said. He said that they were more than just in love...they were friends.”

Surveyors.....Lucas.... I love you more than anything else in the world.

***There was another episode Mark asked Lucas to explain love. I forget which episode that was

KISSES

The Deadly Wait....Mark kisses Lucas on the forehead after he had been shot up

Wyoming story......Kisses on return

Sharpshooter.....Kisses after Lucas comes out of the saloon after the confrontation

some episodes Mark would kiss Lucas goodnight

What are other episodes where Love was spoken or Kisses between Lucas and Mark given??
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Love and Kisses

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:46 am

The second witness: Mark wants to crawl in bed with Lucas and have pa hold him, but he does not want to wake Lucas up.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:01 pm

great. I missed that one
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Wildwest, acting is called acting for a reason. Have you ever heard or read of actors who play lovers/friends/family who cannot stand each other in real life? Or actors who played arch-enemies, but were best buddies in real life? It is always rather disconcerting to hear about. However, the real life adoration and camaraderie of Chuck and Johnny shone through. One of my favorite scenes is when Mark rests his arm on Lucas's leg. I imagine it would be one thing to put your arm around someone you don't like, but quite another to grab hold of the leg of someone you don't like.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 pm

wildwest wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:53 pm
***There was another episode Mark asked Lucas to explain love. I forget which episode that was
"The Actress" - Mark asked Lucas to explain Love while sitting on the porch at the hotel after having supper at the hotel.

"A Friend In Need" - Mark jumps into Lucas' arms when Lucas lets him outta the closet. A great big hug and they look at each other with such love.
Mark is 13 years old - 15 years old in real life.

The Love between Mark and Lucas can be seen in every episode. They don't even have to say a word. The love/chemistry is genuinely there.

~Deneen~
Lucas to Mark: "I love you more than anything else in the whole world."

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Dana wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:06 pm
Wildwest, acting is called acting for a reason. Have you ever heard or read of actors who play lovers/friends/family who cannot stand each other in real life?
Years ago when I read that Vivian Vance and William Frawley didn't like each other - I looked for hints in each "I Love Lucy" episode. I couldn't find anything.

~Deneen~

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Deneen your example of Vivian and William is perfect. I have several books about Lucy and she said that. Vivian also did not like it that William was 22 years older and playing her husband

The Actress IS the episode I could not remember the scene but it was the scene on the porch. I always thought it was special as well that Chuck wrote that episode, those lines....those were Chucks feelings. I think he was a hopeless romantic.

we have all said the show casting was perfect! Chucks love for his sons came through with Johnny. I wonder if he just thought Johnny was another of his boys. when Chuck got his star on the Walk of Fame.....and he is standing with Joan and Patricia...who is Chuck looking lovingly at?? Johnny.

Johnny said he was friends and visited Paul until his death. Chuck and Johnny remained friends.

and Dana.....I wonder what other actors could not stand each other but had to play off each other? thats a really good question you posed

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:17 pm

and Dana.....I wonder what other actors could not stand each other but had to play off each other? thats a really good question you posed

I actually googled it and there are many....it really surprised me

28 Famous Co-Stars Who Totally Hated Each Other

https://stars.topix.com/slideshow/15416
20 co-stars who hated each other's guts. ... It's amazing they had any chemistry whatsoever in their movies - but somehow, they made it work.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Wildwest. Thank you for the picture of the gang! You are absolutely right on target-just thought up the pun-about chuck's focus being on Johnny!

Thank you for your list! On the flip side, Batman's Adam West had great admiration for Julie newmar (catwoman), frank gorshin ( the riddler), and Cesar Romero (the joker). David Janssen, who played richard Kimball was great friends with the actor who played lieutenant Gerard.

The sister: Mark flusters Lucas by bringing up the subject of pa remarrying. Mark tries to set Lucas up with nefarious Nora and angelic Ann. However, on the other hand, even in early adolescence, the innocent Mark seems to know not to try set Lucas up with Julia or Lil. Or does he? Mark and Lucas talk about whether julia could get married and run a boarding house. Mark also adores Lil. Was asking about Lil's perfume a subtle way of getting pa interested in Lil?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:45 pm

That's an interesting list - WildWest.

The only one that really surprised me was Bea Arthur and Betty White.
Geezzz - Who doesn't like Betty White. Oh - Bea Arthur. :msn-oh:

~Deneen~

Return to “The Rifleman”