Miss Millie

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Miss Millie

Post by Dana » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am

I thought Lucas and the townspeople in the episode were just awful to Millie. Sure, they were understandably upset and anxious for their merchandise and Millie should have waited until everything was ready, but Lucas seemed to think Millie should carry them. Wouldn't Millie have been at least partly financially responsible for unpaid for items from the companies and distributors?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Miss Millie

Post by wildwest » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:47 pm

I guess 'back in the day' merchandise was exchanged for goods or services and shop keepers would extend credit until cattle etc were sold, but what did they do if they extended credit and the cattle died for example? they also accepted food for merchandise or doctor services etc but then how would those people pay others if they had no cash???

but now that I am thinking about it.....did everyone do this???? If you got your hair cut or blacksmith etc.......did they offer credit? males ya wonder about it all....

did Hattie accept some son-of-a-gun stew from Lucas when he bought his 44/40 shells and cigars?? did Sweeney accept a cherry pie for some whiskey?? did anyone give Micah a pig in a poke for someones bail?? did the undertaker accept a load of lumber for someones casket?? did the doctor take some sasaparilla for pulling a tooth??
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Howard
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Howard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 am

I'd say they used:

Dan
Q: What did the farmer say when he couldn't find his tractor?
A: Anyone seen my tractor?

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 am

Howard wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 am
I'd say they used:

Dan
The original name was pay-cos bill pal!

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Ha Dan....thats a good one!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Morgan
Duster
Duster

Post by Morgan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Dana wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am
I thought Lucas and the townspeople in the episode were just awful to Millie. Sure, they were understandably upset and anxious for their merchandise and Millie should have waited until everything was ready, but Lucas seemed to think Millie should carry them. Wouldn't Millie have been at least partly financially responsible for unpaid for items from the companies and distributors?
Shop keepers would have a huge overhead and pay for everything ahead of time that they sold. If someone didn’t pay, the store owner would lose money, not the distributor.

And on the subject of people trading goods and services, from my understanding, this was something done but usually only if you didn’t have the cash up front, or if you used it as a partial payment until you had the money to pay for the rest.
~Morgan
"If" is a troublesome word.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Thank you, Morgan and wildwest! Lucas is insensitive or oblivious to Millie's financial situation. Wildwest, as a matter of fact, the town has a major recession about three months later! In smokescreen, Lucas did offer sweat equity to Dave to get his buckboard fixed. Mark expected Toomey to supply the materials to fix the school furniture, but Lucas didn't. In the safe guard ,Lucas tells judge hanivan he did not ask the citizens of North fork to invest money in his future. However, in miss Millie, Lucas demands and expects Millie to risk her future on the citizens of North fork.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 pm

I know the community had barn raisings and Lucas and Mark helped did halperin on a cattle drive. I never thought about it extending to businesses in town? Did anyone help Julia or josh manse set up? Did Eddie bring Millie meals? Come to think of it: we never saw much of Eddie after season 2.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm

now there Dana are some good scenes for you to write for us.......and yes what happened to Eddie. when he left town with Lil did he have to stay with her to keep heron the right path in life...make a lady outta her?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:17 pm

when Millie wasn't workin' at the General Store....she made money as a dancer. Joan Taylor was a beautiful woman for sure

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”