The surveyors: bank question

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

The surveyors: bank question

Post by Dana » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 pm

Back in the early 1980's, if I remember correctly, the idea of banks being open on Saturdays was pretty radical. However, in the surveyors, the town bank is open on a Saturday. Was that the norm back then? It would make sense, as that would be the only day many would have to go into a town. Any ideas?

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: The surveyors: bank question

Post by wildwest » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:12 pm

good point. actually farmers and ranchers, saloons, blacksmith, etc probably worked 7 days a week. I wonder how many stores closed for Sundays....or did they? like the general store was it closed on Sunday?

or did stores just close for Church and then open again. need some discussion on this one.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Morgan
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Morgan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:33 pm

“Have you ever heard of a “blue law”? The term was first used back in 1755. It is legislation that prohibits or restricts certain activities in order to support religious standards. In rare instances, blue laws affect activities on days other than Sunday, but the most common use is in reference to Sunday, in which case they are also known as “Sunday laws.”

The Puritans were probably the first to enforce Sunday laws on the North American continent, banning many commercial and recreational activities on Sundays during the 1600s.

Colonial America observed Sunday as a day of rest in the 18th century as well, and established laws governing its observance. These laws carried over as the new country was formed. Within 12 years of the framing of the constitution, many states had Sunday laws in effect that outlawed working, traveling, and selling goods on that day. Soon laws were added to prohibit the selling of alcoholic beverages on Sundays.

Although it might be difficult for us to imagine, in many parts of the United States during the 18th and 19th centuries, people were regularly arrested for breaking the “Sabbath.” This usually came as a result of conducting business on Sunday. These “criminals” were often fined or forced to serve a jail sentence. Well-meaning Christian societies were formed to help enforce these laws”

-https://www.sabbathtruth.com/free-resou ... -blue-laws
~Morgan
"A man doesn't run from a fight, but that doesn't mean he has to go runnin' to one, either."

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I do remember blue laws. you could not buy gasoline, buy a car, groceries etc and we all got along just fine. I would however hate to be traveling by car and run out of gas on a Sunday. I think they were abolished in the 1980's??
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you for the blue law information , Morgan! As far as I know, arizona has never had the blue law, but I lived in Texas as a kid, which had the blue law at the time. I remember one store closed on a Wednesday, so it could stay open on Sunday. I also remember grocery stores could not sell panty hose and cookie sheets on Sunday.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm

panty hose and cookie sheets.....go figure that one. gosh you could never get a run in your stockings on a Saturday!

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:31 am

wildwest wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm
panty hose and cookie sheets.....go figure that one. gosh you could never get a run in your stockings on a Saturday!
Can you imagine Micah enforcing that law?!

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm

he had a hard time holding the corset in the one episode....ha

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”