Margaret’s Pregnancy Announcement

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
Morgan
Duster
Duster

Margaret’s Pregnancy Announcement

Post by Morgan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 am

From what we know, Lucas was “wild” in his younger years. What do you think Margaret’s thoughts were when she first suspected/found out she was pregnant with Mark? Based on what we know about Lucas before the show, what do you think his reaction was when she told him?

(Friends had baby number four this morning and that’s what got me thinking about this ;) )
~Morgan
"If" is a troublesome word.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: Margaret’s Pregnancy Announcement

Post by cowgirl » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:00 pm

He was ecstatic and beaming with joy!! I can just picture them looking into each others eyes and with love and all kinds of emotions. Then when that sets in they both wondered if they would make good parents.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Good question Morgan. Don't think we have pondered this before. love your thoughts Cowgirl, I think you nailed it.

Margaret has always been so proud of Lucas and she knows he will be a good Father. Lucas knows he will have to try to live down his 'reputation' and 'raise the child right'. Silently Lucas was wanting a son. had the child been a girl.........well there are no words for that. he was so tender with Margaret and loved her so much a 'little Maggie' would have melted his heart. Lucas would love the child....as he told Mark.....'more than anything else in the world'.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Morgan
Duster
Duster

Post by Morgan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Good point Wildwest; although Mark did a pretty good job of melting Lucas’s heart himself - I’m thinking of the episode in particular where Mark got Lucas the saddle for his birthday (First Wages?)
~Morgan
"If" is a troublesome word.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Oh gosh the look Lucas gave Mark melted my Heart. I wonder if Chuck was thinking of one of his sons in that scene?

I think so much of that show was not acting,,,,but real emotions... the smiles, glances, seeing love in their eyes. You can't learn that. You could tell the cast really felt those emotions. it showed the level of love Chuck had for his own boys and I think Johnny came from a very loving family so those emotions came easy for both of them.
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 pm

He was probably thinking how proud Margaret would be of Mark, just like he is.
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 am

Deleted prequel scene 1 from warped mind productions

Lucas, lariat Jones and his identical cousin tom birch, abel Goss, and don legard are all nursing a hangover with the hair of the dog that bit them when...

Sam and johnny Gibbs show up carrying a rope.

Sam (to Lucas): young man, what are your intentions with my daughter?

Deleted prequel scene 2 from warped mind productions

Margaret is hanging out with her three besties big Anna, Ann and Claire.

Margaret: you owe me a sasparilla and five dollars. I told you Lucas McCain is the man I'm going to marry, Annie..

Big anna: he has the temper of a Bengal tiger.
Margaret:oh, please, this kitten has that big tomcat tamed. He'll be eating kibble out of my tiny paws!

Claire: (giggling uncontrollably)the rifleman is having a shotgun wedding!

Deleted scene 3

Margaret: lukeyboy, I know I Why I keep craving apple pie and rock candy mixed with chicken and dumplings and son-of-a-gun stew, but we'll be hearing the pitter-patter of little cowboy boots within the year.

Lucas: huh?

Margaret: We'll soon have a preemie calf.

Lucas: preemie?

Margaret: Abel is booked for the next three weeks after this Saturday, and I want to wear that gorgeous gown before I start to show, so guess what we're doing this weekend!

Lucas: yes, dear.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Dana...you slay me....Warped Mind Productions.....ha

this i a real classic! love it! are you sure you did not live in Enid Oklahoma with these folks??

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:55 pm

Dana - You are too much! :laughing:
* Johnny Crawford *
You Are In My Prayers :angel5:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Thank you, guys.

Back then, would Margaret's pregnancy have been common knowledge? Would there have been an announcement? I remember reading gone with the wind that Scarlett and other pregnant women basically made themselves scarce and did not appear in public. Was that the norm in Victorian times? Were things different in the West or in a farming community? Any tidbits?

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”