Things I wonder about.....

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Things I wonder about.....

Post by wildwest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:16 pm

okay....so I might have too much time on my hands. here are some of the things I wonder about in westerns....

in the jail why is there only bars on the cell windows. in bad weather it could rain in the cell or more importantly your pals could slip you a gun thru the bars

why do they always have to build a scaffold then they are gonna hang someone? why not just have one built and leave it. you could have it out of sight but NO they build another one

when cowboys run outta water they throw their canteens down on the trail. Why?? when they do find water what are they gonna put it in? Mark did this in Ordeal and Lucas did this in The Angry Gun and its always done in westerns

when you are attacked and they throw your pistol aside or you are killed .....who goes and gets them? is there some kind of person who rides the prairie and gathers them and sells them at the General Store. Guns are expensive

why do they wear long johns in summertime

anyone have things to add to my list????

:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Kira
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Re: Things I wonder about.....

Post by Kira » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Why is water first given as first aid, no matter what injury? Gunshot wound, thrown off the horse, hit by the arrow, beaten up ... Not only in The Rifleman, I've seen it also in Bonanza and High Chaparral ... :thinking:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Kira thats a really good one I forgot about!!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 am

Wildwest: re the scaffold, in some shows and movies, the scaffold is meant to serve as a deterrent. However, remember in Seven, Micah wanted the.prison wagon moved, so no one was offended.

Kira: in the southwest, becoming dehydrated can be a real danger. Plus, maybe it is needed for cleaning.

That is my two-bit theory, anyway.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:52 am

so just what is in....son-of-a-gun stew anyway??

when Lucas was making ice cream at the ranch, where did they get the ice to churn it? they had to go to the mountains to get ice when Mark was ill in The Vision

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:48 am

Dana you're probably right. the convicted person just hearing them pound the nails would make them shudder! then you have the scene of them marching the convicted down main street and not to a back alley to get hanged. would probably deter some folks

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:55 am

can you imagine when a person in a hotel took a bath and the hotel clerk had to heat the water and carry it upstairs, probably making several trips? then again had to carry the used bath water down??????

remember the episode where Mark toted water for a bath

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Blowout: regarding the money Al Walker stole from the Porter Brothers who first stole the money from the bank, do you think Sweeney gave his "profits" back to the bank?

NorthRidge
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by NorthRidge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 pm

I can think of two things. Both are from what I've read in magazines about the Old West.

1. When shooting someone in self defense, you don't assume the person you shot is dead. You walk over and make sure; like checking for a pulse. One Old West magazine said the person shooting would empty his gun (use all the bullets). Of course, Charlie Gordo made the mistake of not making sure Lucas was dead after his gang broke him out of jail.

2. When approaching a lake or pond to refill canteens, the person would never just walk up to it and fill them. He would lower the canteen in but look all around him to make sure an outlaw, Indian, etc would not get the drop on him.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:27 pm

great. good things for any cowpoke to know

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”