Creating a Western

Sweeney would like to welcome you to his place. Bar room chatter goes here, but only virtual drinks.
Morgan
Tinhorn
Tinhorn

Creating a Western

Post by Morgan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:39 pm

If you got to produce a western today, what would it be like?

1. Who are the main characters/what would their backstory be?
2. What part of the country does it take place in?
3. Half hour or an hour?
4. Continuing story line or much more individual episodes?
5. What are the overall themes of your show?
“There’s no medicine to cure a coward’s heart.”

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Creating a Western

Post by wildwest » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:39 pm

Good question.

I think a Western placed in the Wild West (ha my name). also showing the daily life and struggles and plight of the Indians in a better light. not all Indians were savages and the white man really took their land and buffalo and caused them to suffer, they are still suffering today. I don't know why our government doesn't give more aid, to our Native American Indians. but we send money overseas!

Some kind of family dynamic, maybe an hour. not 90 minutes like The Virginian, they stretched some stories too much although I really pined over James Drury!

Individual episodes with some characters and story lines repeating throughout the series. In color. maybe set later in the 1800's and adapting to new inventions.

ya know I think I just described The Rifleman all over again. I liked the dynamic of The Rifleman and shows like Lassie that was sweet.

what are your thoughts Morgan? you are SUCH a good story writer!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Morgan
Tinhorn
Tinhorn

Post by Morgan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:13 pm

I have a few ideas... the first two would be set in the mid-west... like Kansas or Missouri.

One show would center around three (adult) siblings and their families in the 1880s. The oldest brother is a lawyer, the youngest sister is the closest thing this small town has to a doctor, and the middle sister is a widow trying to keep her husband’s family farm running.

Hour long episodes (including commercials, so really 45 minutes) with a continuing story line, but the areas of conflict differ so there won’t be many repeating bad guys.

Overall themes would be family, and mystery/crime as different issues come up in town and the middle sister comes closer to finding the truth about her husband’s death.

The second idea is a show that follows a husband and wife who work for the government or the Pinkerton National Detective Agency. Same idea with the western/crime/family themes. More individual episodes, but you do find out more about the couple along the way and get to watch how they handle it as their family expands. Half hour episodes.

Another fun show to produce would be a spin-off of The Rifleman. Mark is a Deputy U.S. Marshal who fills in as needed in different towns all across the Western United States. He has a 14-year-old daughter who travels with him. All you know at the beginning is that Mark’s wife died and later on it is revealed that she was murdered and her killer is still on the loose. While the 45 minute episodes are pretty much individual, there’s going to be a big overarching sub-plot as Mark tries to find the killer, raise his daughter, and deal with his grief. Mark hasn’t been back to North Fork in the two years since his wife died and Lucas tries to get Mark to come back home and face what happened. The themes of the show would be justice, family, and redemption.
“There’s no medicine to cure a coward’s heart.”

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 pm

I like your ideas. I can see your creative side bubbling up!!

the first one is like a combo of Big Valley (Jarrod) and Dr Quinn Medicine Woman with with another sister thrown in along with the mystery/crime aspect

the second one would be really neat with the Pinkerton aspect. kinda like a Columbo on a horse

the third one I really like. like that Mark has a daughter, that would show his really protective and loving side. Mark would have been a real softie with a girl. and the two of them on the trail together would lend to a lot of cute stories. and how proud would Lucas be to have a granddaughter. I read one time where Chuck and his first wife considered adopting a girl since they had four sons. this was about the time before they split up. I bet Chuck would have been 'butter' with a girl

so no rush.....but we'll be waiting for your stories!
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."

Duchess McCain
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Duchess McCain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:07 am

Morgan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:39 pm
If you got to produce a western today, what would it be like?

1. Who are the main characters/what would their backstory be?
2. What part of the country does it take place in?
3. Half hour or an hour?
4. Continuing story line or much more individual episodes?
5. What are the overall themes of your show?
Oh goodness - this is really hard. I have three favorite western shows: Laramie, the Rifleman, and Wagon Train (they're all #1. I just can't decide!!). It's really hard to not just want more of that content.

. . . .Okay, so I started typing an answer to the questions and realized I would literally write one big mashup of my favorite shows. Ward Bond would definitely be in it. The Barnaby - Bill dynamic from Wagon Train, the Slim - Jess friendship from Laramie, Lucas' rock solid values and his love and loyalty to friends and family. Yeah. Somehow I'd roll all that stuff together to make the most epic western ever. :grinning-cowboy:
If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.

Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 pm

great ideas.....can we wait for you to throw something together in a script??

Duchess McCain
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Duchess McCain » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:49 pm

I would love writing something like that so much! I've often wanted to write Wagon Train or Laramie ff, but this is dedicated to the Rifleman, so I figured I should just stick to this. I think I mentioned in another thread that I also really like theatre. Writing a western stage play (it can work; think Oklahoma!) would be a ton of fun too!
If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.

Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:37 pm

yes!!! we will be looking forward t it!!

Return to “The North Fork Saloon”