#83 - The Martinet

There is always a lesson to learn when you watch “The Rifleman.” There is no better teacher for Mark than his father, Lucas McCain. Lucas teaches Mark from “The Bible” and from experience. Sometimes the lessons are hard ones and at times rather easy ones. They are still lessons learned! Let’s discuss the lessons learned in each episode. “Every lesson you learn makes you a better partner.” “Just remember the lessons!”
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Re: #83 - The Martinet

Post by cowgirl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:18 am

Dana wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:56 am
Do you think Lucas ungrounded Mark?
I thought he was a bit ruff with Mark, but then Mark should have know better not to rile Lucas! :sillycowboy:
Right before Mark tosses the rifle to Lucas, it might be my imagination, but it looks as if Mark is considering taking a potshots at captain Perry.
I noticed that too Dana, but thought differently later. But I do think that it did cross Mark's mind, but knew better.

Hey Dana, about Lon's death. News travels fast in the old west!
Captain Perry actually stands at lon's grave and whips his dead son. Wow!I never really realized that before.
Interesting! That does make sense. I never thought of it that way. Great observation!
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:36 am

I think Mark stayed grounded for a day or two. Lucas is putty in Mark's hands. Besides, Mark loved spending time with Lucas, so how much of a punishment could the grounding be?

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 am

What would he possibly take from Mark. Computer - cell phone?

Blueboy, no candy or going to town.

wildwest
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by wildwest » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 pm

good point how would you ground a kid in North Fork? I don't think Mark could survive without BlueBoy or rock candy. maybe Lucas could give him 'clean the outhouse' duty. really...who did that?
:cowgirl: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and He shall stand beside me later on."
(Lucas in Home Ranch) :gunfightercowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Apparently, the Perry boys left home together, then went their separate ways. How old were they when they "ran away"? Lon and Ben must have been well into their late twenties when they "snuck out"!

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:31 am

I can't imagine why! :sillycowboy:

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 am

I rewatched the episode tonight. Two things struck me: 1. After the altercation with the captain, Lucas just lets Ben in the house without seeming to consider Ben might have an ulterior motive for wanting to talk to him. 2. Lucas never says anything negative about captain Perry, nor does he try to make Ben feel better about the situation.

cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cowgirl » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Dana wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 am
I rewatched the episode tonight. Two things struck me: 1. After the altercation with the captain, Lucas just lets Ben in the house without seeming to consider Ben might have an ulterior motive for wanting to talk to him. 2. Lucas never says anything negative about captain Perry, nor does he try to make Ben feel better about the situation.
You do have a point here Dana about Lucas letting Ben in the house. Especially Lucas being The Rifleman. How many people would love be able to get that close to Lucas, him not expecting it?

The same goes for the episode The Guest. Just because Mario showed Lucas a card from a lawyer, Johnny Morgan, one of his oldest and best friends doesn't mean this is so. And in this case it was and he left a killer stay his home.

Can you think of anymore episodes that Lucas should have been more careful letting someone in his home?

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:21 am

Cowgirl, two episodes come to mind. In panic, lucas, who has warned Mark about going into a situation blind, does not stop to think that the barkers might be setting a trap by pretending to be in some sort of distress. Isn't that the oldest trick in the book? In sins of the father, Lucas asks Mark to see who is at the door. I have mixed feelings about Mark having a rifle, but wouldn't the odds be Mark might have to fight bad guys at the door, too?

Return to ““Just Remember the Lessons!” - 2015 to present”