The Lone Ranger 2013

2014 and prior postings from the TV Western forum.
judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

The Lone Ranger 2013

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 pm

TVFan:36207 wrote:The first image of Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger has been released.

What do you think?  Ridiculous?

Jerry Bruckheimer is behind this movie, and there have been a lot of problems with it up to this point.  I saw one version of the script that had included werewolves!  I think it will be a mess, but it should be interesting to see how it ends up.  You never know.
:horse08: Judy M

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Re: The Lone Ranger 2013

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

maxman:36208 wrote:I remember the first Lone Ranger movie re-make. They had to have cursing in it of course. Probably sex and nudity in this one. (rolls eyes)

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

winterhawk:36212 wrote:P U on the photo.  Johnny has so many tatoos they have to cover them up somehow.  I probably won't waste my time on this one, unless I hear glowing reviews from several different sources.

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm

winterhawk:36213 wrote:P U on the photo.  Johnny has so many tatoos they have to cover them up somehow.  I probably won't waste my time on this one, unless I hear glowing reviews from several different sources.

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm

BluewindFarm:36223 wrote:Either someone really doesn't like Johnny Depp or they were experiencing problems with their computer... (I'm thinking the latter)

However, I agree with your assessment.  Are they trying to make him look like Jack Sparrow from Pirates...?

With Bruckheimer's name, I would have thought it would have been better, but then there has to be some kind of a 'draw' to get the masses to go see a remake, of a remake, of a remake, of a remake....

I do believe Jay Silverheels is rolling in his grave.

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 pm

TVFan:36225 wrote:
Are they trying to make him look like Jack Sparrow from Pirates...?
A lot of people were asking that question after seeing the face paint, the hair, and the bird on his head.  I don't really understand why Depp is playing an American Indian in the first place except that he is a big box office draw.

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 pm

BluewindFarm:36226 wrote:I vaguely remember reading last year when it was first announced that Disney was behind this remake, and Johnny Depp was to play Tonto, that Depp is 1/16 Indian (one great-great-grandparent, I think)... Though I don't remember which tribe he attributes his Indian heritage.

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 pm

TVFan:36262 wrote:
that Depp is 1/16 Indian (one great-great-grandparent, I think)... Though I don't remember which tribe he attributes his Indian heritage.
Yeah, I'm just not on board with it.  There is a quote on his wikipedia page about how he must have some Native blood somewhere down the line either Creek or Cherokee.  He seems pretty vague about it.  This isn't the 50s or 60s when there were few American Indian actors to choose from, and it was perfectly ok for a white actor to put on a terrible black wig some dark body paint and play the role (Chuck and Johnny both did!).  I feel like there are a lot of great actors (Adam Beach for example) who could do a good job.  Depp could have been the Lone Ranger.  But, hey, the Lone Ranger was created as a radio program and on that Tonto was played by an English actor.  I'm trying to reserve judgement on this movie until it comes out, but it has the makings to be truly awful.

Fun fact:  Jay Silverheels was born Harold Smith.

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 10:04 pm

cowgirl:38494 wrote:'Lone Ranger' crew member dies on set

Sign In or Sign UpMembership Services Jobs Cars Real Estate Subscribe Rentals Classifieds Custom Publishing Place Ad  
Entertainment HOME Breaking Photos Video Crime Obituaries Weather Traffic Crosswords Games Horoscopes Apps Local L.A. Now Politics Crime Education O.C. Westside Neighborhoods Environment Obituaries U.S. Politics Nation Now Politics Now Top of the Ticket Science Science Now Obituaries Religion World World Now Afghanistan war Africa Americas Asia Europe Middle East Business Money & Co. Technology Personal Finance Small Business Company Town Jobs Real Estate Cars Sports Sports now NBA Lakers Clippers Dodgers Angels NFL Kings USC UCLA Preps Scores Entertainment Movies TV Music Celebrity Arts & Culture Industry Awards: The Envelope Calendar Books Comics Health Booster Shots Science Now Medicine Fitness & Nutrition Mental Health Health Reform Future of healthcare Living Home Food Image Books L.A. Affairs Comics Reader Photos Travel SoCal California Mexico Hawaii Las Vegas Europe Asia Australia Travel & Deal Blog Opinion Editorials Op-Ed Endorsements Letters Opinion L.A. Readers' Rep Deals Daily Deals LAT Store Sports Gear Travel Offers & Deals Legal Notices Membership Services Jobs Cars Real Estate Subscribe Rentals Classifieds Custom Publishing Place Ad
In the News: Emmys 2012 Shakira Fiona Apple 'Hobbit' trailer Clint Eastwood 'Innocence of Muslims'    

'Lone Ranger' crew member dies on set
Comments 0  Email  

Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the masked man in "The Lone Ranger." (Peter Mountain / Disney)

By Richard Verrier and Ben Fritz

September 21, 2012, 1:31 p.m.
A crew member died on the set of Walt Disney Studios' big-budget film "The Lone Ranger," the Burbank studio said Friday.

"We regretfully confirm that a 'Lone Ranger' crew member has passed away after being taken to a local hospital. Our hearts and thoughts are with his family, friends, and colleagues at this time, and our full support is behind the investigation into the circumstances of this terrible event," Disney said in a statement.

The incident involved a diver who reportedly drowned while prepping a tank for an underwater shooting scene in the Los Angeles area, and did not occur during filming, the studio said. Disney is investigating the incident, the statement said.

The movie, directed by Gore Verbinski and starring Johnny Depp, has filmed in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah and recently moved to Los Angeles.

"The Lone Ranger" has endured other incidents since production began earlier this year on the $200 million-plus movie, which is set to open next July.
In May, a stuntman was injured on set in New Mexico, according to local reports. Depp, who plays Tonto, has said he narrowly avoided injury after being thrown from a horse on the set and dragged 25 yards on the ground.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 8509.story

judymcl
Technical Ranch Hand
Technical Ranch Hand

Post by judymcl » Tue May 09, 2017 10:04 pm

winterhawk:38545 wrote:Yep seems like I had severe computer problems....lol...didn't realize the many repeats.
I LOVE the Lone Range with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.  It will take a heap of doing to beat the TV show.  Good Luck Disney and all involved in the making of this movie.

Return to “TV Westerns Archives”