Mark conniving & scheming his way out of.....

Mark McCain was as important to the show as the Rifleman himself. Let's talk about his sweet nature and sensitivity. Always learning from Lucas, sometimes the hard way, fear of losing his only parent, times he got into trouble, their respect for each other, and how he was portrayed as a motherless kid but had the insight and determination of a disciplined adult.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Mark conniving & scheming his way out of.....

Post by cowgirl » Thu May 11, 2017 9:34 am

cowgirl:26567 wrote:Besides trying to get out of the dishes, Mark was good at trying to get out of going to school and doing his school work.

How many times did Mark try to conive/scheme his way of of doing some of the chores?

These are so cute, you might want to mention what was going on at the time.

smiley_girl You first.....
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Re: Mark conniving & scheming his way out of.....

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 3:45 pm

BluewindFarm:26571 wrote:Outlaw's Shoes, at the end... father and son are finishing eating.  Lucas has regained more of his memory and Mark asks Pa if he 'remembers the agreement about dishes'  and how that night was Lucas' night?

Lucas responds there were more things he remember, and the first thing he remembered was it was Mark's night.

Mark replies, "Yeah, I guess you really do have your memory back."

(Quotes are not verbatim, but you get the gist.)

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Michelle P.:26646 wrote:One of my favorite "getting out of school" episodes was "Three Legged Terror."

Mark thought he would be 'smart' and try the ol' "The barn sure needs cleaned' trick...Dakota has used this excuse on numerous occasions, and it didn't really do him any good either...

Lucas informs Mark that he could add that to his chores that evening...Sometimes it doesn't pay to try to pull a fast one on your parents...

But then Mark gets him back really good..."Pa?  We sure could use some help around our barn!!!"  That is the BEST part of the whole episode!  I love the whole interaction - to really 'get' the whole thing, you have to watch both Mark and Lucas very closely.  In fact, I didn't relaly get the jest of it the first several times I watched this episode.  Then one day I caught it.  I played the scene over about five times...I thought it was SOOOOO cute....

But knowing Lucas, he sent Mark out to the barn to help Johnny...what say you?

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 3:52 pm

markisddg:26669 wrote:That was a riot. I have to check that scene out again in Three Legged Terror. (why is it called Three Legged Terror Johnny Clover never did the three legged race.)

How about in Baranca when Mark tries to convince Lucas there is no way he can go to school after having Doc pull his tooth. He just won't be able to concentrate. Later he tells Lucas he forgot all about his tooth once he got doing his arithmatic.

He said he did all his chores in First Wages before leaving for his new job but he left everything undone.

In Schoolmaster he is trying to do his homework but Lucas talks to him at the table then Lucas says he'll see to the animals. Love how Mark gets back to his homework then drops off to sleep.

In Stopover Mark says he won't be able to ride to school the next day but Lucas tells him he can study at home.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 3:55 pm

markisddg:26836 wrote:What episode is in when Mark is doing his studying at Micah's desk and Lucas spreads his body all over the desk too. Mark says by the time he gets grown up there won't be anything exciting happening. Lucas tells him that there will be bridges to be built and such. I think in that one he is trying to get out of studying.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 3:58 pm

cowgirl:26846 wrote:The Clarence Bibs Story.....

“The past seems more exciting.  But when you’re a full grown man, you’ll see there’s still lots of things to do.  Railroads to be built…cities…bridges…”

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 3:59 pm

markisddg:26856 wrote:That's the one. Thanks Cowgirl.

Deneen
Ranch Hand Alumni
Ranch Hand Alumni

Post by Deneen » Sat May 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Random rambler:54111 wrote:In the sister, Mark tells lucas he need come quick and literally drags Lucas to the depot. Lucas probably thought there was a major emergency or catastrophe.  Mark knew enough not to tell his pa why pa was needed.

Dana
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Dana » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Letter of the law: Lucas takes a page from Mark's book. Mark asks Lucas if he can stay in town with him while Lucas fills in for Micah. Lucas was planning on doing just that, but acts like he is giving Mark special treat by letting him go with him.

Return to “Mark's Room 2015 to present”