#94 The Actress

Let's name somethings that make this particular episode special. It can be a tender moment, a quote, a scene, something that makes this stand out to you.
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

#94 The Actress

Post by cowgirl »

A twist here..... In The Actress, Lucas offers to fetch Jacob Black's wife for him. In return Jacob would give Lucas a piece of land that he had wanted to buy from him.

Although we never knew for sure Lucas got the land. We suppose he did.

What Elizabeth accused Lucas of, she was far worse then that. She got everything, except that piece of land, maybe.

Wouldn't Elizabeth Garrett-Black had been an viscous neighbor for Lucas, especially if she hired a big tough foreman to antagonize Lucas. This would have made for several good episodes.

"So….there was something in it for you after all. A price to be paid. And you with your holier then thou attitude, I should have know you were too good to be true, Mr. almighty, Lucas McCain!”
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.
Zanza
Wrangler
Wrangler

Re: #94 The Actress

Post by Zanza »

I don't know. Oat Jackford started out having to rebuild Luke's house after his men dragged Luke behind a horse and burned down his house. He made some pretty terrifying threats when Luke confronted him. And then we never see Jackford again. The name comes up from time to time but nothing happened. I just saw the episode The Angry Man and I think that's about how things would go. Life was too harsh in that time and place for an ongoing feud, which is why the Hatfields and the McCoys were so famous. Most people just didn't have the wherewithal to hold a grudge and expend their capital making someone else's life miserable. I'm not trying to get into politics here or the current situtations in the world, but most of the people making trouble are people who have the money and leisure to make trouble. Like in the French revolution, it wasn't the grassroots that got it started, it was the aristocrats who had the luxury of bellyaches in their soul. I just don't think that woman would have cared enough to want to make trouble for Luke even if she did choose to live in North Fork. Needle him whenever she saw him? Yes. Actual trouble? No.

Although it was interesting that Luke admitted he thought of the land when he offered to bring the man's wife to him. I think Luke would have had to be a plaster saint not to have thought of it, and I give him full marks because he never said anything about it. I don't think it would have been possible for Luke not to have thought of it, but he absolutely was not expecting it, nor did he ask for the land, so I feel what that woman said was unjust.
<><
Duchess McCain
Ranch Alumni
Ranch Alumni

Post by Duchess McCain »

What if she had decided to turn his place into something for the customers and men she had from her other life? That sure would have stirred Lucas up!
If you climb in the saddle be ready for the ride.

Duchess McCain :coolcowboy:
Zanza
Wrangler
Wrangler

Post by Zanza »

Duchess McCain wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:41 am What if she had decided to turn his place into something for the customers and men she had from her other life? That sure would have stirred Lucas up!
It would indeed, and it could have made for a good episode or two.
<><
cowgirl
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: North Fork - New Mexico Territory c/o of The McCain Ranch

Post by cowgirl »

Duchess McCain wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:41 am What if she had decided to turn his place into something for the customers and men she had from her other life? That sure would have stirred Lucas up!
I think that would have raise a few eyebrows, especially Lucas'. I think she would have wanted revenge on Lucas for rejecting her. I wonder who her ruff n' tuff foreman would have been?
"Keep your 'sites' on The Rifleman"
"The Rifleman hits the 'Mark' every week on abc."
A cowgirl's work is never done.
Dana2020
Duster
Duster

Post by Dana2020 »

I bet Beth would have tired of North Fork pretty quickly. That was one of the advantages of being an actress-not being stuck with people she did not like. If I understand correctly, Lucas received a part of the the property, not all of it. Beth would have been pretty well off. This is pure conjecture on my part, but I think Beth had a prior husband she had not bothered to divorce, so she might (uncharacteristically) not wanted to call to much attention to herself.
Zanza
Wrangler
Wrangler

Post by Zanza »

Luke just wanted a little bitty piece, just two acres so he didn't always have to make a detour around it. He probably got it, and he probably thought that was fair enough, but he didn't ask for it and he wasn't expecting it as the price of fetching that female. It wouldn't surprise me if Beth didn't have a prior husband or three. She was just the type. Very icky scene where she was making up to Luke, all I could think was I hope she doesn't kiss him and get germs on him.
<><
Dana2020
Duster
Duster

Post by Dana2020 »

Also, for all we know Jacob could have had kids back East or in the Midwest. They would have probably been included in the will and maynot have been happy about Lucas or Beth being included in the will.

I actually liked Beth. She was not gracious about Lucas rejecting her, but I don't think she was a bad or evil person. I think the episode is not so much about Beth-even though the title is the Actress. It is about what Lucas would do when tempted. We know Lucas would never steal money. When Lucas snarls at Beth that she is Jacob's wife he is reminding himself as much as he is Beth.
Zanza
Wrangler
Wrangler

Post by Zanza »

Dana2020 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:13 am I actually liked Beth. She was not gracious about Lucas rejecting her, but I don't think she was a bad or evil person. I think the episode is not so much about Beth-even though the title is the Actress. It is about what Lucas would do when tempted. We know Lucas would never steal money. When Lucas snarls at Beth that she is Jacob's wife he is reminding himself as much as he is Beth.
We can agree to disagree about Beth. I thought she was a completely bad person. But I do think you're right about what Luke would do about temptation and that he was reminding himself that she was Jacob's wife.
<><
Dana2020
Duster
Duster

Post by Dana2020 »

I have asked this before and I could not get an answer online or elsewhere. What happened to the driver who ran Jacob down? We're there any laws regarding leaving the scene of an accident? Failure to control one's horses? Speeding?

Return to “Let's do something different with this section.....”